A theatre in Belfast with a faceted timber interior is another of the six buildings shortlisted for the 2012 Stirling Prize and was designed by Irish architects O'Donnell + Tuomey (+ slideshow).
The Lyric Theatre is located on the edge of the River Lagan in the south of the city and is constructed from the same red brick as the surrounding residential terraces.
The building replaces a 1960's theatre that occupied the site previously and the new plan follows the outline of the irregularly shaped site.
A multi-level atrium connects the entrance with the 389-seat auditorium, where the faceted iroko wood lining integrates stage lighting and improves acoustics.
The building also contains a performance studio for up to 170 spectators and a rehearsal room that matches the size of the auditorium stage.
This year O'Donnell + Tuomey also completed a photography gallery in London.
Photography is by Dennis Gilbert.
Here's a little more from O'Donnell + Tuomey's website:
The Lyric Theatre stands on a sloping site at triangular junction between the grid pattern of Belfast's brick streetscape and the serpentine parkland of the River Lagan.
The architectural design was developed in response to the urban and landscape conditions of the site.
The building site was tightly restricted and irregular in shape. The budget was strictly limited. All the building materials are selected to endure and crafted to weather with age.
The new building replaces a substandard structure built in the 1960s.
The building is the result of an open architectural competition held in May 2003, and eight years immersion in the complex process of briefing, design, fund-raising, demolition and construction.
Area: 5,500 sqm
Completion Date: May 2011
Level 1 plan
Level 2 plan
Level 3 plan
Level 4 plan
- Homes near Belgium's coastline feature r…idged skins of white aluminium
- Jewish cultural centre with an acutely a…ngled corner by Gonçalo Byrne Arquitectos
- Maximum Display by David Tajchman
- Pascal Flammer's House in Balsthal featu…res wooden braces and a circular window
- The Bergen Safe House by Max Rink, Rache…l Griffin and Simon de Jong
- Astley Castle renovationby Witherford Wa…tson Mann
- Gun Architects unveils Rainforest pavili…on at London's Architectural Association
- Sauna Huginn&Muginn by AtelierFORTE
- Sowa Unit by Kensuke Watanabe
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories