These wooden shoes by London-based footwear designer Cat Potter clamp around the wearer's feet and fasten with a metal hinge.
The Pernilla shoes are moulded in the shape of feet on the inside while taking an abstract and blocky form on the outside.
Potter used computer technology to produce the shoes using 3-axis CNC milling machines. Three different types of wood have been used – walnut, sapele and pear.
The collection was inspired by the wooden sculptures of Australian artist Ricky Swallow.
We previously featured a collection of hand-carved wooden shoes made for sports brand K-Swiss.
Photographs are by Alejandro Cavallo.
Here's some more information from the designer:
Pernilla. Appropriating industrial design and manufacturing processes to bespoke shoemaking.
Cat Potter’s MA final collection of bespoke footwear, Pernilla, steps out of the traditional footwear context, blurring the lines between footwear and artefact.
Grounded in a unique interpretation of architecture and the wooden sculptures of Australian artist Ricky Swallow, the collection is based on complex CadCam work and a labour intensive fabrication process using 3-axis milling machines.
The result being a series of sophisticated and elegant sculptural forms made from different types of wood (Walnut, Sapele and Pear) that trace the silhouette form of the foot on the inside, diffusing its profile on the outside.
The collection has won the Jimmy Choo MA Final Collection Award for Excellence 2012 from the Cordwainer’s Guild and was runner up for the MA Design Award for Best Collection in 2012 from the London College of Fashion.
- Reveal by Studiomama
- Lianes, Roches, Conques by Ronan & Erw…an Bouroullec at Galerie Kreo
- SCP reissues classic design pieces fro…m its 30-year history
- Get Lost collection by Tiago Volpato a…nd Gabriel F channels frustrations of young designers
- The Espresso Lamp by Fly-Pitcher
- Parrish by Konstantin Grcic and Emeco …for the Parrish Art Museum
- Plastic Classic by Pili Wu
- Glass panes form transparent labyrinth… by Robert Morris
- Wästberg lighting collection 09
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories