Above: Toyo Ito (left) and Japan Pavilion team collect their award
The Japanese Pavilion presents alternative housing concepts for the homes that were destroyed by the earthquake and tsunami in 2011.
Above: alternative housing models are displayed on rough wooden plinths inside the Japanese Pavilion
It's one of our top five pavilions not to miss at the biennale - check out the others here.
Above: inside the Japanese Pavilion
- Hafjell Mountain Hotel by BIG
- "It's about trying to grab light and vie…ws where you can" - Riches and Mikhail on Church Walk
- Penda's modular bamboo hotel could be ex…panded horizontally and vertically
- Panovscott creates Sydney extension with… alternating timber and glass facade
- Paco by Jo Nagasaka + Schemata Architect…ure Office
- Dezeen archive: artist and designer's st…udios
- Shift Housing by AquiliAlberg
- Shenzhen Guosen Securities Tower by Mass…imiliano and Doriana Fuksas
- Mobile performance venue by Various Arch…itects
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories