Above: Toyo Ito (left) and Japan Pavilion team collect their award
The Japanese Pavilion presents alternative housing concepts for the homes that were destroyed by the earthquake and tsunami in 2011.
Above: alternative housing models are displayed on rough wooden plinths inside the Japanese Pavilion
It's one of our top five pavilions not to miss at the biennale - check out the others here.
Above: inside the Japanese Pavilion
- The Grove at Grand Bay by BIG
- House in Itami by Tato Architects
- Åre Solbringen by Waldemarson Berglund
- The Bird's Nest by Inrednin Gsgruppen
- Entrance Pavilion Cemetery by Hansteerds… Architectuur
- Museum Macura by Nenad Katic, Ivan Kucin…a and Vladimir Macura
- 123 Social Green Housing by SOMOS Arquit…ectos
- Haworth Tompkins' Liverpool Everyman The…atre built with old and new bricks
- 3D-scanning technology will enable citie…s to exist in "both a virtual and a physical form"
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories