Above: Toyo Ito (left) and Japan Pavilion team collect their award
The Japanese Pavilion presents alternative housing concepts for the homes that were destroyed by the earthquake and tsunami in 2011.
Above: alternative housing models are displayed on rough wooden plinths inside the Japanese Pavilion
It's one of our top five pavilions not to miss at the biennale - check out the others here.
Above: inside the Japanese Pavilion
- Redhill Apartment by Studio SKLIM
- Houses in Cyprus by Iosa Ghini Associati
- Oxley Woods by Rogers Stirk Harbour and …Partners
- Atelier in Ushimado by Tezuka Architects
- Delta House by Yoshiyasu Mizuno centres …around a triangular courtyard
- Perforated brick house by Tropical Space… is based on termites' nests
- Israeli Pavilion uses "sand printers" to… trace plans of urban sprawl
- Cornelius Vermuyden School by Nicholas H…are Architects
- St Moritz Church by John Pawson
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories