Above: Toyo Ito (left) and Japan Pavilion team collect their award
The Japanese Pavilion presents alternative housing concepts for the homes that were destroyed by the earthquake and tsunami in 2011.
Above: alternative housing models are displayed on rough wooden plinths inside the Japanese Pavilion
It's one of our top five pavilions not to miss at the biennale - check out the others here.
Above: inside the Japanese Pavilion
- SH House by BaksvanWengerden
- Cop15 pavilion by MAPT
- IHRMK's house with a staggered profile l…ooks out over a landscape of paddy fields
- Box House in Kuwait contains a trio of a…partments with private courtyards
- Basque Culinary Centre by Vaumm
- Steel cladding frames an offset window a…t Montreal house extension by Naturehumaine
- Amazon wins approval for Seattle headqua…rters inside giant orb-shaped greenhouses
- Malta's 20-storey outdoor lift was desig…ned to look "like an old building"
- TAKA overhauls old Dublin garage to crea…te more living space for Waterloo Lane house
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories