Japanese designers Nendo have built an enormous woodland nesting box with 78 entrances for birds on one side and one big door for humans on the other (+ slideshow).
The treehouse was built for observing birds at the Momofuku Ando nature centre in Komoro, in Japan's Nagano Prefecture.
People can reach the Bird-apartment by climbing up a ladder and through a circular hole.
Spy holes across the back wall of the apartment allow a discreet view into the 78 bird boxes on the other side.
Other designs by Nendo we've featured include a tote bag with a pop-out hand puppet and a set of unstable furniture that has to be balanced by books and cups.
- Schlump One Hamburg by J. Mayer H.
- KNN Media Center by DRDS
- Allies and Morrison references Brutalism… with concrete-clad studio for Rambert Dance Company
- Civil Courts of Justice in Madrid by Zah…a Hadid
- MVRDV's Pushed Slab office block has a h…uge hole in its middle
- Casa Alta by AS/D Asociación de Diseño
- United Arab Emirates pavilion for Shangh…ai Expo 2010 by Foster + Partners
- The Banquet by Herreros Arquitectos at t…he ROM Gallery
- London Aquatics Centre 2012 by Zaha Hadi…d photographed by Hufton + Crow
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories