London Design Festival: in this movie filmed by Alice Masters for the Design Museum's annual Designers in Residence exhibition, Yuri Suzuki talks about his radio with a circuit board arranged like the London Tube map and his mission to demystify consumer electronics.
In the movie, Suzuki first discusses how he built a radio from an electronic circuit board by arranging the components according to the lines and stations of the Tube map. Read more about the Tube Map Radio in our earlier post.
"The printed circuit board is a remarkable invention. Due to the process of the efficiency of the electronics you can see something very complicated, almost like a maze," he says. "But what if you could replace it with something you are familiar with?"
He goes on to explain how he adapted Harry Beck's famous Tube map design into a circuit board that tells a story. "I really wanted to make a design that's a little bit like a narrative," he says.
In the second part of the movie he talks about working with Technology Will Save Us to create the Denki Puzzle kit, a set of redesigned and enlarged electronic components that can be pieced together in working sequences. "If you wanted to make a computer [with them] it's possible, technically – but it's going to be huge," he jokes.
We've featured a number of Suzuki's other designs on Dezeen, including a set of pens that record and play back sounds and a miniature record player that runs along a track made from vinyl records.
Photographs are by Hitomi Kai Yoda.
- HyperLip by Sascha Nordmeyer creates gri…macing facial expressions
- Plant pot by Uli Budde
- Bulo's Dan modular furniture system is b…uilt from wooden ladders
- Comme des Garçons Guerrilla Store +4161
- Protective suit could prevent the spread… of Ebola by creating an isolated environment for patients
- Dolfi is a tiny ultrasonic washing machi…ne for delicate clothes
- Designers of the future at Design Miami/…Basel
- Dezeen Watch Store pop-up shop at Clerke…nwell Design Week
- Furniture Neighborhood by Tjep.
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories