"Through a lot of thinking and walking I realised that over the course of the day we're putting our hands on so many handrails all around London," Sam Hecht of Industrial Facility told Dezeen. "I thought it would be interesting if the diametre of the armrest of the chair was the same as a handrail, which means that the armrest is much more chunky than you would normally find in an aluminium chair."
Thick extrusions form the front leg, armrest and back leg in one piece on each side of the Alumi chair.
"It's all made out of aluminium and it's a very thin gauge, so it's super light and yet it has this kind of solid, chunky appearance," Hecht added.
The chair will be previewed as part of a one-day show called Pop-Down at the Industrial Facility studio at 20 Britton Street, Clerkenwell, London EC1M 5UA on Saturday 22 September from 10am to 6pm
Movie: Alumi by Industrial Facility
Dezeen's London Design Festival map
The map above is taken from Dezeen's guide to the London Design Festival, which lists all the events going on across the city this week. We'll be updating it over the coming days with extra information on our highlights so keep checking back. Explore the larger version of this map here.
- Pablo Bronstein honours Nicholas Hawksmo…or with lighthouse/beach hut hybrid in Folkestone
- Fiela Feather Lights by Haldane Martin
- The End of History by BrewDog
- Industrial Facility at the Design Museum… - podcast interview
- Shadow City by Izabela Boloz
- The Crates by Naihan Li
- Mutagenesis by Arne Quinze
- Commedia Dell'Arte Couture Edition figur…es by Nymphenburg
- S - Chair Transformers by Beton
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories