As Peter Zumthor has this week been named as the recipient of this year’s Royal Gold Medal for architecture, here's another chance to watch the movie interview Dezeen filmed with him last summer, in which he told us "I'm a passionate architect and I think it's a beautiful profession." Update: this interview is featured in Dezeen Book of Interviews, which is on sale now for £12.
Speaking at the opening of his Serpentine Gallery Pavilion (pictured) in London, Zumthor said, "I do not work for money; I'm not going for commercial projects. I go for projects where I can put my heart into it and which I think are worthwhile."
He also told us how he started out in his father's cabinet-making workshop, went to art school and "slowly, slowly" became an architect. "Now maybe soon I’ll become a landscape architect too," he added. The pavilion featured a black walled garden framing a strip of wild planting by Dutch garden designer Piet Oudolf.
Zumthor, who was also awarded the Pritzker Prize in 2009, will be presented with the Royal Gold Medal for architecture in a ceremony at the Royal Institute of British Architects in London on 6 February 2013. Read more here. See all our stories about Peter Zumthor here.
Photos are by Hufton + Crow.
- The Exhibition Hall by OMA
- Kait Workshop by Junya Ishigami Architec…ts
- NL Architects proposes "slightly insane"… hotel modelled on amethyst crystals
- Vallvidrera House by YLAB Arquitectos
- Ardmore Residence skyscraper in Singapor…e by UNStudio
- Parc des Expositions by OMA
- Blok 1 by GROUP A
- Tamina Thermal Baths by Smolenicky & Par…tner
- V&A at Dundee proposals unveiled
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories