Bird Song with a Found Feather is a mechanically operated sliding whistle that uses a bellow and levers to mimic birdsong.
"The noise is created by two cams rotating and pushing levers up and down," explained Smith, who is also the artistic director of Laikingland. "One lever pumps the bellows, forcing air into the whistle, and the second lever adjusts the slide in the whistle in order to change the pitch and length of the chirp."
The feather itself offers no clue to the bird imitated by the contraption. "The origins of the feather are unknown, as it was found and donated to the piece – although it is very blue," Smith told Dezeen.
A bespoke analogue timer has been built into the piece so that the chirping sound can be used as an alarm clock.
We've featured a few other machines by Laikingland previously, including a gong timer that's inaccurate on purpose and a cacophonous doorbell made in collaboration with Tord Boontje.
Here's some more information from Laikingland:
The concept came from the notion of waking up to the wonderful sound of birdsong. Rather than a caged living bird, an elaborate mechanically operated sliding whistle has been devised that can be set and activated when required.
I wanted a piece that could be set, as with an alarm clock, and would allow you start the day gently. I am interested in producing mechanical bird sounds and seeing the cause and effect through a mechanism. For me the making is very important and I wanted to craft every part of the machine, to understand how the bellows are constructed and operate and to get the bird whistle sounding just right.
Materials: steel, brass, fabric, motor, custom electrics and a feather
Dimensions: H 1500mm (59”) W 300mm (12”) / D 300mm (12”)
Power: 12v motor
Price: on request
- Alicja Prussakowska's Tilia coat stand… resembles upended wooden skis
- Friends of Steel and Miklimeir by Katr…in Olina
- Glück XL by Naomi Paul in The Changin…g Room at Dezeen Super Store
- Giant tables by Featherstone Young Arc…hitects form workspaces at Central Saint Martins
- Student project creates template for t…urning old tyres into footwear
- Kaide-taide by Company
- Federico Babina creates Archibet, an i…llustrated alphabet of architects
- Frame Sofa by Hyung Suk Cho
- Dezeen's top 10 installations of 2014
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories