Featuring a pleated stainless steel facade, the Eli and Edythe Broad Art Museum stands in contrast to the brick buildings of the university's Collegiate Gothic north campus.
Zaha Hadid won a competition in 2008 to design the museum, which contains 1600 square metres of exhibition space, alongside an education wing, study centre, cafe, shop and outdoor sculpture garden. The three-storey building has one basement floor and features double-height galleries for showing modern art, photography, new media and works on paper.
The museum opens on 9 November with the inaugural exhibitions Global Groove 1973/2012, an exploration into current trends in video art, and In Search of Time, which investigates the relationship to time and memory in art.
Photography is by Paul Warchol.
- Port House Antwerp by Zaha Hadid Archite…cts
- Quilted greenhouse by CF Møller inflate…s to change light and temperature conditions
- La Philharmonie de Paris by Jean Nouvel
- Entrance Pavilion Cemetery by Hansteerds… Architectuur
- Belly of the Beast is a hillside folly w…ith a scruffy coat made from old tyres
- Reacting to the critics would have "ruin…ed" Glasgow School of Art building says Steven Holl
- Medical School and Student Residences at… the University of Limerick by Grafton Architects
- Kayak Kayak Canoe by Geoff Christou and …Nick Savage
- Dezeen archive: bunkers
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories