World Architecture Festival 2012: in this movie, Australian architect Jeff Morehen of Francis-Jones Morehen Thorp tells Dezeen editor-in-chief Marcus Fairs how the workplaces of the future should be "more hybrid in their nature" and accommodate public facilities, just like his Darling Quarter offices in Sydney that won the office category at the World Architecture Festival this month.
Located beside the harbour, the building curls around a large open space to create a public park and children's play area. "Putting an office in a park was quite an unusual commission," says Morehen, before explaining how his team had to overcome the "corporate nature and privatisation" that usually accompanies this kind of commercial building.
Above: photograph is by Florian Groehn
The architect compares the project to some of the public buildings his studio has worked on. "Often libraries that we're invited to do are more than a library, they become a community meeting space with a whole series of overlaid functions," he explains. "I think it's very natural that we start thinking about that for our workplaces."
Cafes, bars and restaurants line the edge of the ground floor, creating open spaces that can also be used as workplaces. Morehen describes how the current generation of office workers are "no longer tied to desks" and can use the city as their workplace. "No longer are we individuals just tapping away at computers, he says. "More and more we're collaborative and we need a range of settings to do that."
We’ve filmed a series of interviews with award winners at the World Architecture Festival. See all the movies we’ve published so far, including our interview with architect Chris Wilkinson about the World Building of the Year.
Photography is by John Gollings, apart from where otherwise stated.
- Swiss Pavilion at Shanghai Expo 2010 b…y Buchner Bründler Architects
- House Riihi by OOPEAA shelters a court…yard from wintery gusts
- Kontum Indochine Wedding Restaurant by… Vo Trong Nghia Architects
- Concrete extends from the kitchen into… the garden of Studio Gil's London house extension
- New Pinterest board: Spanish houses
- Frank, Ettore and Toyo by Chris Labroo…y
- Tillich Architektur adds folded concre…te facade to textile company headquarters
- Dalarna Media Arena by ADEPT and Sou F…ujimoto
- Treasure Island is a conceptual tax ha…ven populated with extinct species
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories