News: the yacht that Apple's co-founder Steve Jobs designed for himself before he died this time last year with interiors by French designer Philippe Starck is now complete and has been unveiled at the Dutch shipyard where it was built.
Named Venus, the 80-meter-long ship has an aluminium exterior reminiscent of the company's notebooks plus large panels of glazing common to Apple stores and seven 27-inch Macs in the wheelhouse. It was built over six years at the Koninklijke De Vries shipyards of the Feadship custom yacht-building company in Aalsmeer, the Netherlands.
Jobs' widow and three of their children were present for the ceremony but it's not yet clear what will happen to the boat.
"I know that it's possible I will die and leave Laurene with a half-built boat," Jobs is reported to have said in his biography by Walter Isaacson. "But I have to keep going on it. If I don't, it's an admission that I'm about to die."
- Are you the UK’s Young Design Entrepre…neur 2008?
- Macula font by Jacques Le Bailly
- Mini Jambox by Jawbone
- Snog frozen yogurt shop by Cinimod Studi…o
- Bulo's Dan modular furniture system is b…uilt from wooden ladders
- Vertebrae Staircase by Andrew McConnell
- Call for entries to the A' Design Award …and Competition 2015
- TW35 40 by Tamawa
- Designed to Win at the Design Museum
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories