News: the yacht that Apple's co-founder Steve Jobs designed for himself before he died this time last year with interiors by French designer Philippe Starck is now complete and has been unveiled at the Dutch shipyard where it was built.
Named Venus, the 80-meter-long ship has an aluminium exterior reminiscent of the company's notebooks plus large panels of glazing common to Apple stores and seven 27-inch Macs in the wheelhouse. It was built over six years at the Koninklijke De Vries shipyards of the Feadship custom yacht-building company in Aalsmeer, the Netherlands.
Jobs' widow and three of their children were present for the ceremony but it's not yet clear what will happen to the boat.
"I know that it's possible I will die and leave Laurene with a half-built boat," Jobs is reported to have said in his biography by Walter Isaacson. "But I have to keep going on it. If I don't, it's an admission that I'm about to die."
- Sidekick Stool by Timothy John for Thank…s
- Drop by Paul Cocksedge
- VerBien by Yves Béhar
- REK bookcase by Reinier de Jong
- Hulger and Samuel Wilkinson win Brit Ins…urance Design of the Year Award 2011
- Neo Collection by Made.com
- Skin collection by Nacho Carbonell
- Heinola Reading Lamps by Vesa Honkonen
- Sebastian Cox pairs coppiced chestnut an…d ash for furniture collection
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories