Aulenti trained as an architect in Milan, but over the course of her career also designed furniture, exhibitions, lighting and scenography. After graduating, she joined the staff of design magazine Casabella as an art director and also taught architecture in Milan and Venice.
Aulenti's designs for the Musée d'Orsay in the 1980s lead to many other gallery commissions, including a space for the National Museum of Modern Art at the Centre Pompidou in Paris, the restoration of the Palazzo Grassi in Venice, the Asian Art Museum in San Francisco and the Museu Nacional d'Art de Catalunya in Barcelona.
The architect had suffered from a long illness and passed away at her Milan home on 31 October.
- Micro house by Yasutaka Yoshimura slotte…d between two huge windows
- Wooden Houses in Amsterdam by M3H Archit…ecten
- House of Inclusion by FORM/Kouichi Kimur…a Architects
- Tuscany Barn House by Julian King Archit…ect
- Quivering wire crossing by bureau faceB …wins Paris bridge competition
- Looping wooden viewing platform in China… built by students in just six days
- Oscar Niemeyer in 3D by Vicente de Paulo
- Public Works: Architecture by Civil Serv…ants by OMA at Venice Architecture Biennale 2012
- Tsunagu by Kengo Kuma
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories