Aulenti trained as an architect in Milan, but over the course of her career also designed furniture, exhibitions, lighting and scenography. After graduating, she joined the staff of design magazine Casabella as an art director and also taught architecture in Milan and Venice.
Aulenti's designs for the Musée d'Orsay in the 1980s lead to many other gallery commissions, including a space for the National Museum of Modern Art at the Centre Pompidou in Paris, the restoration of the Palazzo Grassi in Venice, the Asian Art Museum in San Francisco and the Museu Nacional d'Art de Catalunya in Barcelona.
The architect had suffered from a long illness and passed away at her Milan home on 31 October.
- Wildfowl Cottage extension by 5th Studio… is clad with shingles and raised over a flood plain
- Essent Energy heating plant by Bonnema
- Pitsou Kedem's House of Parties combines… family life with entertaining
- Concrete house by Olson Kundig Architect…s cuts into a rocky outcrop
- Slideshow feature: London 2012 architect…ure
- Duplex by Frank Gehry for Make it Right
- Erick van Egeraat in Tatarstan
- "Growing a city from the bottom up" coul…d save the human race
- Museum of Handcraft Paper by TAO
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories