Aulenti trained as an architect in Milan, but over the course of her career also designed furniture, exhibitions, lighting and scenography. After graduating, she joined the staff of design magazine Casabella as an art director and also taught architecture in Milan and Venice.
Aulenti's designs for the Musée d'Orsay in the 1980s lead to many other gallery commissions, including a space for the National Museum of Modern Art at the Centre Pompidou in Paris, the restoration of the Palazzo Grassi in Venice, the Asian Art Museum in San Francisco and the Museu Nacional d'Art de Catalunya in Barcelona.
The architect had suffered from a long illness and passed away at her Milan home on 31 October.
- Antinori Winery by Archea Associati
- Textured brick and concrete house in Syd…ney encloses a garden courtyard
- New Pinterest board: bricks
- The Guangyun Entrance by Plasma Studio
- T2 project by General Design
- La Médiateque de Proville by Tank Archi…tectes
- Brutalist buildings: Park Hill, Sheffiel…d by Jack Lynn and Ivor Smith
- Movie: The Leadenhall Building by Rogers… Stirk Harbour + Partners
- Belly of the Beast is a hillside folly w…ith a scruffy coat made from old tyres
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories