Aulenti trained as an architect in Milan, but over the course of her career also designed furniture, exhibitions, lighting and scenography. After graduating, she joined the staff of design magazine Casabella as an art director and also taught architecture in Milan and Venice.
Aulenti's designs for the Musée d'Orsay in the 1980s lead to many other gallery commissions, including a space for the National Museum of Modern Art at the Centre Pompidou in Paris, the restoration of the Palazzo Grassi in Venice, the Asian Art Museum in San Francisco and the Museu Nacional d'Art de Catalunya in Barcelona.
The architect had suffered from a long illness and passed away at her Milan home on 31 October.
- La Maison Beaumont by Henri Cleinge Arch…itecte
- Cibercentro Macarena by MedioMundo
- Pasarela del Postiguet by bgstudio
- Doctor's Surgery in Dudzele by Cristian …Panaite and Katrien Devreese
- Movie: Galaxy Soho by Zaha Hadid Archite…cts
- The Dee and Charles Wyly Theatre by REX …and OMA
- Hawthbush extension by Mole Architects
- House in Alcobaça by Aires Mateus
- Criss-crossing wooden beams fill a void …inside Studio Aula's Cocoon House
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories