Aulenti trained as an architect in Milan, but over the course of her career also designed furniture, exhibitions, lighting and scenography. After graduating, she joined the staff of design magazine Casabella as an art director and also taught architecture in Milan and Venice.
Aulenti's designs for the Musée d'Orsay in the 1980s lead to many other gallery commissions, including a space for the National Museum of Modern Art at the Centre Pompidou in Paris, the restoration of the Palazzo Grassi in Venice, the Asian Art Museum in San Francisco and the Museu Nacional d'Art de Catalunya in Barcelona.
The architect had suffered from a long illness and passed away at her Milan home on 31 October.
- BMW Museum by Atelier Brückner
- Ludescher and Lutz add a tasting hall …to a winery in Austria's Wachau region
- Movie: The Symbiotic Office by Richard… Black
- Casa per tutti at Milan Triennale
- Gazebo for TV show by Za Bor Architect…s
- Japan's biennale pavilion challenges a…rchitects to "face the real world"
- Antas Education Centre by AVA Architec…ts
- Brooklyn Bridge Park Pier 6 by BIG
- Le Temps Machine by Moussafir Architec…tes
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories