Serbian designer Miloš Milivojevic has installed a tree-like mobile phone charger powered by the sun in a park in Belgrade.
Situated in Tašmajdan Park near St. Mark's Church, the tree-shaped structure provides solar-powered energy so that passers-by can recharge their mobile phones and tablets while sitting on the bench underneath.
Charging points on stretchy cords hang from the metal bar on the bench.
Other projects in Belgrade we've featured on Dezeen include and a concept shop inspired by the "golden years of communism" and a beauty salon with long plastic threads like hair hanging from its ceiling.
Here's more information from the designer:
Black Tree for Strawberry Energy
Black Tree is a public solar charger for mobile phones, designed for Strawberry Energy, the company which invented the first public solar charger for mobile phones – the Strawberry Tree. In cooperation with Palilula Municipality and the city of Belgrade, this Strawberry Tree with completely new design has been set up in Tašmajdan park in Belgrade in November 2012.
Black Tree is conceived as an artificial tree which transforms the solar energy into the necessary electrical energy and in this way joins the surrounding forest in a common struggle for the planet richer in oxygen. With its function, this Strawberry Tree reminds us of the insufficiently exploited potential of the energy of the sun, through people’s everyday habits such as sitting under the tree and using the nature as a shelter from the sun. The large but elegant steel construction is more than three and a half metres long and four and half metres tall which follows the line of a real tree.
This public solar charger for mobile devices enables visitors of Tašmajdan park to recharge the batteries of their mobile phones, tablets and multimedia devices with the energy of sun.
- Max Cooper's Origins music video explore…s the emergence of life
- Sofie Lachaert and Luc d'Hanis build tem…porary housing terrace for exhibition
- The Aram Gallery showcases seven new des…igners in Future Stars? exhibition
- The Wish List: emerging designers produc…e objects for Hadid, Foster, Rogers and more
- Ann Ray shares intimate behind-the-scene…s photographs of Alexander McQueen
- MINI Scooter E Concept
- Freedom by Ross Lovegrove
- Arctic Collection by Jens Praet and Vibe…ke Skar
- Philippe Starck's Juicy Salif was "the m…ost controversial lemon squeezer of the century"
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories