Serbian designer Miloš Milivojevic has installed a tree-like mobile phone charger powered by the sun in a park in Belgrade.
Situated in Tašmajdan Park near St. Mark's Church, the tree-shaped structure provides solar-powered energy so that passers-by can recharge their mobile phones and tablets while sitting on the bench underneath.
Charging points on stretchy cords hang from the metal bar on the bench.
Other projects in Belgrade we've featured on Dezeen include and a concept shop inspired by the "golden years of communism" and a beauty salon with long plastic threads like hair hanging from its ceiling.
Here's more information from the designer:
Black Tree for Strawberry Energy
Black Tree is a public solar charger for mobile phones, designed for Strawberry Energy, the company which invented the first public solar charger for mobile phones – the Strawberry Tree. In cooperation with Palilula Municipality and the city of Belgrade, this Strawberry Tree with completely new design has been set up in Tašmajdan park in Belgrade in November 2012.
Black Tree is conceived as an artificial tree which transforms the solar energy into the necessary electrical energy and in this way joins the surrounding forest in a common struggle for the planet richer in oxygen. With its function, this Strawberry Tree reminds us of the insufficiently exploited potential of the energy of the sun, through people’s everyday habits such as sitting under the tree and using the nature as a shelter from the sun. The large but elegant steel construction is more than three and a half metres long and four and half metres tall which follows the line of a real tree.
This public solar charger for mobile devices enables visitors of Tašmajdan park to recharge the batteries of their mobile phones, tablets and multimedia devices with the energy of sun.
- Interview with Nick Regan of Laikingland
- Sebastian Cox and Lorna Singleton use an…cient crafting technique to weave wooden furniture
- RV Prototype (RV = Room Vehicle) by Greg… Lynn
- Osmosis by Arik Levy
- London's Brutalist landmarks star in Omi… Palone music video
- Wanders launches Mondrian South Beach pr…oject
- Mercedes designs G-Code concept car to r…educe emissions in China's smog-filled cities
- Movie: Tokujin Yoshioka – Spectrum
- Summer in the City by Michael Robinson a…t Dezeen Super Store
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories