Eslava&Sauras of Valencia has redesigned the European headquarters of Velcro in Barcelona, using the brand's handy hook-and-loop fasteners to construct flexible screens and lampshades (+ slideshow).
"We wanted to convey the new values of the Velcro brand through the use of open, transparent spaces," explain designers Luis Eslava and Lorena Sauras."The goal was to achieve a creative, modern, and dynamic environment, including movable walls that combine spaces and a bright, upbeat atmosphere where white dominates a few splashes of colour."
The designers used a spherical mould to build the red globe-like Velcro lampshades, which hang in the corridor and reception spaces.
Glass screens separate the reception from a small exhibition area, while Velcro pads on the wall display a map of the world.
Planting boxes line the edge of the long corridor, leading through to a row of three glazed conference rooms.
Here, the designers have used Velcro strips to create semi-transparent screens that can be easily adapted or moved to provide more or less privacy.
Other well-known brand headquarters we've featured include the Amsterdam offices for drinks brand Red Bull and the headquarters of cake brand Sara Lee in Cologne.
Photography is by Jordi Adriá.
- China Design Now by Tonkin Liu
- Ace Hotel opens latest branch in downtow…n Los Angeles
- Carl Hansen & Søn opens showroom in Lon…don's Clerkenwell
- Barber and Osgerby's Design Museum exhib…ition "could almost be called the aluminium show"
- Penthouse apartment by Lecarolimited
- Fat Cow Restaurant by Brewin Concepts
- Kurogane by Maker
- Room 68 by Anarchitect
- University Library of the University of …Amsterdam by Studio Roelof Mulder and Bureau Ira Koers
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories