Eslava&Sauras of Valencia has redesigned the European headquarters of Velcro in Barcelona, using the brand's handy hook-and-loop fasteners to construct flexible screens and lampshades (+ slideshow).
"We wanted to convey the new values of the Velcro brand through the use of open, transparent spaces," explain designers Luis Eslava and Lorena Sauras."The goal was to achieve a creative, modern, and dynamic environment, including movable walls that combine spaces and a bright, upbeat atmosphere where white dominates a few splashes of colour."
The designers used a spherical mould to build the red globe-like Velcro lampshades, which hang in the corridor and reception spaces.
Glass screens separate the reception from a small exhibition area, while Velcro pads on the wall display a map of the world.
Planting boxes line the edge of the long corridor, leading through to a row of three glazed conference rooms.
Here, the designers have used Velcro strips to create semi-transparent screens that can be easily adapted or moved to provide more or less privacy.
Other well-known brand headquarters we've featured include the Amsterdam offices for drinks brand Red Bull and the headquarters of cake brand Sara Lee in Cologne.
Photography is by Jordi Adriá.
- Studio 13/16 by Mathieu Lehanneur at the… Centre Pompidou
- Brauner Wegner Priehn centre for dentist…ry by J Mayer H
- Design High at Louise Blouin Foundation
- Note et Silence by Specialnormal Inc.
- Sergi Pons uncovers stonework and ceilin…g vaults in renovated Barcelona apartment
- 24 Issey Miyake concept shop by Nendo
- WOW Sendai by Upsetters Architects
- Orlebar Brown by Post-Office
- Performa Hub by nOffice
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories