Product news: this pine cabinet by Stockholm design studio Snickeriet has a rough surface that resembles choppy ocean waves.
The Havet cabinet by Snickeriet is made from stained and lacquered pine.
The pattern is hacked out of the wood by hand using an angle grinder, so each piece is unique.
Snickeriet comprises cabinet makers Gunnar Dahl and Karolina Stenfelt with designers Karl-Johan Hjerling and Karin Wallenbeck, and was recently awarded the Swedish Design Award, Design S, organised by Swedish design organisation Svensk Form.
Other cabinets we've featured on Dezeen include one that opens up like a sewing box and another designed to help victims of natural disasters to recover from their traumatic experiences.
Here's some more information from the designers:
Havet is a cabinet made out of pine. The surface treatment resembles a stormy ocean at night and is created by combining traditional craftsmanship with an unconventional technique. The pattern is chiselled by hand using an angle grinder. Just like the waves on a windy sea, each cabinet created will be unique.
At first, the furniture is built as a classic cabinet with right angles and with fittings, details and interiors in place. The carpenters then chisel out the distinctive pattern – a process requiring as much time as building the cabinet itself. The pattern is carved on all sides and across all external joints and fittings, creating a monolithic and sculptural gestalt.
Material: Stained and lacquered pine. Steel fittings.
Measures (h-w-d): 1789 x 860 x 380 mm
Design: Karl-Johan Hjerling & Karin Wallenbeck
Price: 75 000 SEK
- Work Lamp by Form us with Love
- Bodo Sperlein chandeliers for Lladró
- Boss Chair byTobias Nitsche
- Daniel Widrig uses DIY 3D printing pro…cess to produce pixellated stool
- Noughts and Crosses tables by Michael …Sodeau for Modus
- Kaj by Karim Rashid at Dezeen Watch St…ore
- Snake&Molting legwear by Camille Corte…t
- Fergana by Patricia Urquiola for Moros…o
- Bob Schiller aims to revive Dutch bicy…cle manufacturing industry with Epo
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories