News: rumours are mounting that Apple is working on a wearable smartwatch that would link up to an iPhone.
Top image: the LunaTik watch, designed to hold an Apple iPod Nano
A Chinese technology news website has claimed Apple is working with chip maker Intel on a watch with a 3.8-centimetre OLED screen, which would use Bluetooth technology and Apple's voice assistant Siri to communicate with the wearer's iPhone to send text messages, emails and status updates.
Citing unnamed supply chain sources in China, where Apple manufactures most of its products, TGBUS said the product is expected to come out in the first half of 2013.
While rumours from Chinese suppliers often turn out to be unfounded, partly because manufacturers sometimes develop products in the hope Apple will take them up, technology bloggers believe the arrival of an Apple smartwatch would be a timely response to consumer demand for an iOS-compatible watch.
Experts say the recent popularity of designs such as the LunaTik and the Apple-approved iWatchz nanoclipz, which both turn an iPod Nano into a touchscreen timepiece, may well have nudged Apple towards launching its own version.
Wearable computers, smart glasses and skin-mounted sensors will soon be part of our day-to-day travelling, shopping and socialising, according to Google Maps boss John Hanke, who spoke to us recently to mark the UK launch of Field Trip, an location-based app that provides tips on nearby sights and activities using information from websites including Dezeen.
Other Apple developments we've reported on lately include a major management shake-up to place Jonathan Ive in charge of both hardware and software design, and the recent news that a yacht built for the tech giant's late co-founder Steve Jobs was briefly impounded following a dispute over an unpaid bill to French designer Philippe Starck. See all our stories about Apple.
- Ralph Pucci's fashion mannequins "mirror… how we want to see ourselves"
- World Carpets by Marcel Wanders 2
- Stools made of sand and urine by Peter T…rimble
- Kickstarter record-breaking Pebble smart…watch goes into production
- OK Go stage costumes by Moritz Waldemeye…r
- Patricia Urquiola designs slanted water …jug for Bilbao restaurants
- Royal Actual by Sam Baron
- Han Koning puts 103% Vase back into prod…uction by 3D printing it himself
- "We're not too far away from driverless …cars" - MINI head of design Anders Warming
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories