Illustrator Vic Lee tells us how his banners depicting the former names of Covent Garden streets hark back to the area's sordid past in the next of our Seven Designers for Seven Dials movies about aerial installations curated by Dezeen.
"I chose to illustrate the names of the streets as they used to be called," says Lee. "When they were built they were called something completely different."
Vic Lee usually works quite small, so creating 3.6-metre-square banners for this project required a sizeable scale-up.
Dezeen commissioned seven young designers to create seven installations to hang above the streets of Covent Garden during last year's London Design Festival, and Lee's banners installation was located on Shorts Gardens.
Previous movies in this series include designers Faye Toogood, Dominic Wilcox, Gitta Gschwendtner and Philippe Malouin each speaking about their installations - see them all here. Photography is by Mark Cocksedge.
- THREE packaging by Nendo
- Berg Frei! by Nicole Losos
- Lighting design classes at the Brandi In…stitute
- Massoud Hassani at My Way talks
- Valentine by Marcel Wanders for Moooi
- Atmospherics by Hani Rashid
- Prohibition Kit by Francesco Morackini
- Brave New World Lamp by Fresh West for M…oooi
- "This bench is a tribute to a local hard…ware shop" - Roger Arquer
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories