Product news: books and magazines slot inside the deep cross-shaped notch in this table by designer Philippe Nigro for Ligne Roset.
Deep folds disrupt the lacquered white surface to create four tabletops at three different heights.
Two years ago in Cologne, Nigro presented interlocking pendant lights and a set of bright yellow divans, tables and a foot stool, both for Ligne Roset – see all designs by Philippe Nigro.
Here's some more information from the designers:
Philippe Nigro loves to explore concepts in depth. For years now he has been working with Ligne Roset on the theme of intersections, interweavings and assemblies. He brilliantly demonstrated this with his Confluences settee (2009), and then his indoor/outdoor collections Passio and Résille (2011). In 2010, he blazed a new trail whilst playing with the concept of notches, resulting in the Inséparable footstool/table (2010), a concept which was later masterfully transformed into the Cuts shelving (2011).
In 2013, he develops that same idea of the notch, this time applying it to the low table: a flat surface is ‘disrupted’ by notches to create 4 distinct tops positioned at three different heights. The angulation of the two intersecting notches is 28°.
The irregular architecture of the low table thus obtained contrasts with the slimness (just 8 mm) of the single material and its immaculate whiteness to create a result which is more than appealing: the varying dimensions and differing levels of the tops are practical whilst the notches can be used as magazine storage.
Whichever of its each four sides it is viewed from, its contours are different yet always surprisingly light, like a paper aeroplane.
Low table in 8 mm thick satin white lacquered expanded moulded polyurethane, reinforced with a steel framework.
- Brain scanning could be used to design… "scientifically perfect" products
- Don't Run shoe factory brings producti…on line to local high streets
- Light Modulator by Studio Lazerian
- Naturally False by Els Woldhek
- Upper Class Suite by Pengelly Design a…nd Virgin Atlantic
- To Have and To Hold by JamesPlumb
- Koloro-wagon stacking wooden storage b…oxes by Torafu Architects
- Sling chair by Note Design Studio is s…ized for compact spaces
- Starlight by Erich Remash, Jeremy Berg…lund, Don Peterson and Chad Ingle
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories