An exhibition of drawings by architect Daniel Libeskind will go on show at the Ermanno Tedeschi Gallery in Rome next month.
Never Say the Eye Is Rigid: Architectural Drawings of Daniel Libeskind will feature sketches and watercolours by the New York architect for seven of his best-known projects, including the Jewish Museum in Berlin (top) and the Museum of Military History in Dresden (below).
Daniel Libeskind described the importance of drawing to his architectural practice in his 2004 memoir, Breaking Ground: Adventures in Life and Architecture. "[T]he physical act of drawing with one’s hand is an important part of the architectural process," he wrote. "An architect needs to know how to draw; unless there is a connection of eye, hand, and mind, the drawing of the building will lose the human soul altogether and become an abstract exercise."
Click above for larger image
Over 50 original drawings are to go on show, from a huge scroll depicting the masterplan for the Ground Zero site in New York (above) to smaller sketches and more traditional line drawings.
Other projects illustrated in the exhibition include the 18.36.54 House in Connecticut, the Fiera Milano mixed-use complex in Milan (above) and the Zlota 44 residential tower in Warsaw (below). Two unbuilt projects will also feature: the City Edge masterplan for Berlin and a proposed extension to London's V&A museum (bottom).
The exhibition will run from 11 March to 30 April at the Ermanno Tedeschi Gallery in Rome. It will then travel to the gallery's other locations in Milan, Turin, Tel Aviv and New York.
This week Libeskind was also in the news for speaking out against architects who create "morally questionable" buildings in undemocratic countries. He also recently completed an education centre at the Jewish Museum Berlin.
See more architecture by Daniel Libeskind, including his proposals for the Yongsan International Business District in Seoul, South Korea.
- House in Ropponmatsu by Kazunori Fujimot…o Architect & Associates
- Seeds of Change by Gitta Gschwendtner an…d Maria Thereza Alves
- Domus Technica by Iotti + Pavarani
- House of Justice and Police Station, Mes…tiaby J. Mayer H.
- Arhitektura d.o.o. designs minimalist Ri…bja Brv Footbridge in the centre of Ljubljana
- Rattan Tunnel at Bacanalia by Natalia Or…tega Gámez and Jose Thén
- Artwood Showroom by LDA.iMdA Architects
- Alpine holiday cabin by Peter Jungmann h…as metal feet and a beak
- Katsutoshi Sasaki's House in Hanekita co…ntains a grid of half-height walls
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories