Milan 2013: items in this furniture range by Paris-based designer Arik Levy have wooden bases inspired by traditional Japanese footwear (+ slideshow).
Arik Levy modelled the elevated solid oak bases of the sideboards and sofas on geta sandals, which are made of flat planks raised on wooden teeth.
Modular sideboards come in different configurations of cupboards, shelves and drawers and can be customised with a range of timbers, veneers and painted lacquers.
Geta seating systems are also modular, available as an armchair or sofa with foam and fibre cushions plus optional storage arms or tables.
Other designs to be released in Milan include twisting auditorium seats by Zaha Hadid and PearsonLloyd's stacking chairs with colourful legs.
Arik Levy has also designed an installation that uses body movements to mutate computer-generated crystals and a pebble-shaped device for opening water bottles.
- Xmas Declarations by Ctrl.Alt.Shift
- Jasper Morrison for Samsung
- Empty Light by Amanda Buckley
- C-Fabriek curated by Itay Ohaly and Thom…as Vailly
- Volkswagen's latest car has a sunroof th…at opens with a wave of the hand
- Sang Yoon exaggerates garments with plas…tic sleeves for Central Saint Martins collection
- Michael Graves' kettle for Alessi was "a… best-seller for 15 years"
- More Maarten Baas in Milan
- Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark artwor…k by Peter Saville and Tom Skipp
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories