Milan 2013: items in this furniture range by Paris-based designer Arik Levy have wooden bases inspired by traditional Japanese footwear (+ slideshow).
Arik Levy modelled the elevated solid oak bases of the sideboards and sofas on geta sandals, which are made of flat planks raised on wooden teeth.
Modular sideboards come in different configurations of cupboards, shelves and drawers and can be customised with a range of timbers, veneers and painted lacquers.
Geta seating systems are also modular, available as an armchair or sofa with foam and fibre cushions plus optional storage arms or tables.
Other designs to be released in Milan include twisting auditorium seats by Zaha Hadid and PearsonLloyd's stacking chairs with colourful legs.
Arik Levy has also designed an installation that uses body movements to mutate computer-generated crystals and a pebble-shaped device for opening water bottles.
- Modular by Marina Bautier
- Francis Bitonti and New Skins Workshop s…tudents 3D-print flexible dress on a MakerBot
- Water-catching device wins Arup competit…ion
- Rewrite by GamFratesi
- Blueware Collection by Studio Glithero
- Grappa chandelier by Claesson Koivisto R…une hangs in strings of grape-like forms
- Smart Fortwo Toile H edition by Hermès
- (No)where (Now)here: Two Gaze-activated …Dresses by Ying Gao
- Sling chair by Note Design Studio is siz…ed for compact spaces
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories