Milan 2013: items in this furniture range by Paris-based designer Arik Levy have wooden bases inspired by traditional Japanese footwear (+ slideshow).
Arik Levy modelled the elevated solid oak bases of the sideboards and sofas on geta sandals, which are made of flat planks raised on wooden teeth.
Modular sideboards come in different configurations of cupboards, shelves and drawers and can be customised with a range of timbers, veneers and painted lacquers.
Geta seating systems are also modular, available as an armchair or sofa with foam and fibre cushions plus optional storage arms or tables.
Other designs to be released in Milan include twisting auditorium seats by Zaha Hadid and PearsonLloyd's stacking chairs with colourful legs.
Arik Levy has also designed an installation that uses body movements to mutate computer-generated crystals and a pebble-shaped device for opening water bottles.
- Finger Trap handbags by James Piatt
- The Foetus Project by Jorge Lopes Dos …Santos
- Ming Kong develops tactile interface t…o navigate CAD environments
- Vitra adapts Eames Wire Chair for outd…oor use
- Ecstatic Spaces by Tara Keens Douglas
- Chamber design gallery opens in New Yo…rk's Chelsea
- Cornetto ice creams by Bompas & Parr g…low in the dark
- Haarwerk by Hackenbroich Architekten
- Sitting on Holly Bradshaw-Clegg's Pasc…al Stool switches on the light above
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories