Milan 2013: items in this furniture range by Paris-based designer Arik Levy have wooden bases inspired by traditional Japanese footwear (+ slideshow).
Arik Levy modelled the elevated solid oak bases of the sideboards and sofas on geta sandals, which are made of flat planks raised on wooden teeth.
Modular sideboards come in different configurations of cupboards, shelves and drawers and can be customised with a range of timbers, veneers and painted lacquers.
Geta seating systems are also modular, available as an armchair or sofa with foam and fibre cushions plus optional storage arms or tables.
Other designs to be released in Milan include twisting auditorium seats by Zaha Hadid and PearsonLloyd's stacking chairs with colourful legs.
Arik Levy has also designed an installation that uses body movements to mutate computer-generated crystals and a pebble-shaped device for opening water bottles.
- MoMA Design Store presents Kickstarter-f…unded products at New York Design Week
- Sprig by Donna Wilson for SCP
- Jaime Hayón says his Groninger Museum e…xhibition is full of "all kinds of crazy products"
- The Poetics of Miss Understanding by Ana… Rita Antonio
- Homedia TV by Robert Bronwasser
- Designed in Hackney: Pigeon Light by Ed …Carpenter
- Gabriel Chandelier at the Château de Ve…rsailles by Ronan and Erwan Bouroullec
- ReCollections by Kiki van Eijk and Joost… van Bleiswijk
- Espresso machine by Yaniv Berg
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories