Milan 2013: items in this furniture range by Paris-based designer Arik Levy have wooden bases inspired by traditional Japanese footwear (+ slideshow).
Arik Levy modelled the elevated solid oak bases of the sideboards and sofas on geta sandals, which are made of flat planks raised on wooden teeth.
Modular sideboards come in different configurations of cupboards, shelves and drawers and can be customised with a range of timbers, veneers and painted lacquers.
Geta seating systems are also modular, available as an armchair or sofa with foam and fibre cushions plus optional storage arms or tables.
Other designs to be released in Milan include twisting auditorium seats by Zaha Hadid and PearsonLloyd's stacking chairs with colourful legs.
Arik Levy has also designed an installation that uses body movements to mutate computer-generated crystals and a pebble-shaped device for opening water bottles.
- Onduler and Sakulight by Chihiro Tanaka
- Bodo Sperlein debuts for Lladró
- Hanayui by Takaya
- All Lovely Stuff by Carl Clerkin and Ed …Ward
- Gridlock by Philippe Malouin
- Electronic Calculator XS by plusminuszer…o
- dezeen at Design Miami/Basel
- Man-made marble by Max Lamb used to crea…te camouflaged furniture installation
- Conversations in Bronze at Carpenters Wo…rkshop Gallery
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories