Design Indaba 2013: glow-in-the-dark roads and responsive street lamps were among the concepts to make highways safer while saving money and energy presented by Dutch designer Daan Roosegaarde at the Design Indaba conference in Cape Town earlier this month.
The Smart Highway project by Studio Roosegaarde proposes five energy-efficient concepts that will be tested on a stretch of highway in the Brabant province of the Netherlands from the middle of this year.
The first of the concepts developed by studio head Daan Roosegaarde and infrastructure firm Heijmans is a glow-in-the-dark road that uses photo-luminescent paint to mark out traffic lanes. The paint absorbs energy from sunlight during the day the lights the road at night for up to 10 hours.
Temperature-responsive road paint would show images of snowflakes when the temperature drops below zero, warning drivers to take care on icy roads.
There are two ideas for roadside lighting: interactive street lamps that come on as vehicles approach then dim as they pass by, thereby saving energy when there is no traffic, and "wind lights" that use energy generated by pinwheels as drafts of air from passing vehicles cause them to spin round.
Finally, an induction priority lane would incorporate induction coils under the tarmac to recharge electric cars as they drive.
Roosegaarde presented the Smart Highway concept at the Design Indaba conference in South Africa earlier this month, where he received a standing ovation from rapt guests – see more from Design Indaba as part of our Dezeen and MINI World Tour.
Last year the studio built a dome of metallic flowers that appear to come to life as they sense the presence of visitors, while their earlier projects include a dress that becomes see-through when the wearer gets excited or embarrassed – see all design by Studio Roosegaarde.
Other street lighting we've reported on includes Ross Lovegrove's solar-powered lights shaped like trees and a sharply faceted LED street lamp – see all street lighting.
- Moving petals express "fragility of life…" in Interconnection by Nao Tamura
- Dezeen Book of Ideas: Pewter Stool by Ma…x Lamb
- Thomas Heatherwick Christmas card arrive…s
- El Mil del Poaig by CuldeSac
- Seymourpowell's Waste-Free Christmas Din…ner Maker is an app to tackle festive food waste
- Tweety table lamp by Giorgio Bonaguro
- Dark Noon by Nendo available in two new …models at Dezeen Watch Store
- Zaha Hadid sculpts marble vases and tabl…es for Citco
- The Aram Gallery showcases seven new des…igners in Future Stars? exhibition
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories