News: Shepard Fairey, the American graphic designer who created the iconic HOPE image for Barack Obama's 2008 presidential campaign, has designed a badge for astronauts on the International Space Station (+ movie).
Fairey was commissioned by the Center of Advancement of Science in Space (CASIS), the body in charge of the US National Laboratory on the International Space Station, to create an emblem for an upcoming mission called ARK1.
"I wanted to convey the most appealing aspects of the space station and also get a sense of motion," explained Fairey.
"But with a patch being so small you really need to simplify the elements to make them work in an iconic way. So reducing and abstracting the space station to something that worked with really simple forms, but was still really pleasing, was a big part of the objective."
In 2009, Fairey's Obama poster won the Brit Insurance Design of the Year award, with judges deeming it "a lasting testament" of the campaign and an "iconic symbol of history". Fairey is also well-known for his OBEY image of wrestling champion Andre The Giant.
British firm Foster + Partners recently unveiled proposals to 3D-print a moon base from lunar soil, an idea that's also being developed by a London team of "space architects" – see all projects in space.
Other graphic design we've featured recently includes a censored cover for George Orwell's classic novel 1984 and matchboxes printed all over with the phosphorus striking surface – see all graphic design.
- London 2012 Olympic Cauldron by Thomas… Heatherwick: model and drawings
- Serpentine by Eléonore Nalet
- Mary Katrantzou contrasts Modernist sh…apes with "horror vacui" details for Autumn Winter 2015
- World's first supersonic private jet w…ill replace windows with live-streaming screens
- Dan Britton's typeface recreates the f…rustration of reading with dyslexia
- Wood Work by Karen Ryan
- Karamel Sans CE by Marta Maštálková
- Shared Space III by Chris Kabel
- Philip Michael Wolfson at Covent Garde…n Super Design
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories