Milan 2013: designers Ronan and Erwan Bouroullec present a courtyard installation of rotating cork platforms for car brand BMW i (+ slideshow).
Called Quiet Motion, the project for BMW's electric car division comprises four carousel-like structures with strips of fabric hanging from the edges, linked by wide circular cork platforms that are also revolving.
Visitors can climb inside the curtains of textiles and relax as the world slowly passes round them: "You are invited to take part in it and be part of the movement," explains Erwan Bouroullec.
The Bouroullec brothers believe that as electric engines make cars quieter, the driving experience and the interior design of vehicles should become simplified and more relaxing.
"We tried to interpret what it means to have an electric cars," he continues. "What we propose with this installation is to say that motion, movement, energy in general should probably be quieter, softer and something which is less about speed and aggression."
They combined materials common to car design - bodywork paint and leather - with materials more usually associated with furniture and interiors, like cork and fabrics.
"We are more and more surrounded by materials that look fake," says Bouroullec. "In the furniture industry you use less materials and fewer components. I think car interiors have to come back to materials that are more clear, more simple, and more understood by the people and customers."
The installation will be on show at Facoltà Teologica dell’Italia Settentrionale, Via dei Cavalieri del Santo Sepolcro 3, 20121 Milan from tomorrow.
The Bouroullecs will also present an aluminium sideboard for Italian brand Magis and an update to their Steelwood chair at the Salone Internazionale del Mobile in the city this week. See all our stories about design by Ronan and Erwan Bouroullec.
- Stewie by Luca Nichetto for Foscarini
- Nathalie Dackelid's "wooden tablecloth…" folds out to form table extensions
- Basic Armchair by Lagranja Design
- Weiwei Wang's portable kit provides ut…ensils for making fresh tofu
- Necklace & clothes and Starlight by Ho…mmin
- Kabino by Simon Legald for Normann Cop…enhagen
- Zephyr Sofa by Zaha Hadid for Cassina …Contract
- Cosmic Angel, Cosmic Ocean and Cosmic …Leaf by Ross Lovegrove for Artemide
- Drapée chair by Constance Guisset des…igned to look like draped fabric
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories