This aid kit is designed to nestle between Coca-Cola bottles to bring medicine to remote locations through the drinks company's vast distribution channels.
Above: image by Guy Godfree
The Kit Yamoyo is the idea of British aid worker Simon Berry, who realised while working in Zambia in the 1980s that Coca-Cola was available in even the most rural villages, yet simple medicines were not.
After Berry set up the ColaLife charity in 2011 to put the idea into action, design consultancy PI Global offered its services and came up with a robust container small enough to occupy the unused space between Coca-Cola bottles inside crates.
The AidPod, as it's named, is currently available as an anti-diarrhoea kit containing oral rehydration sachets, zinc supplements and soap, but ColaLife believes it could be used to get tablets, condoms or other products to remote areas if the pilot project in Zambia is successful.
The AidPods are designed to benefit independent rural retailers by allowing them to make a profit on their resale. In the last six months, over 20,000 kits have been bought by retailers in Zambia to be sold at just under a dollar each.
Kit Yamoyo recently won the product design category of the Designs of the Year award, given annually by the Design Museum in London. The overall winner is due to be announced tonight.
Other category winners included a folding wheel for wheelchairs and a government website designed to be as intuitive and simple as possible, as designer Ben Terrett explained to Dezeen in a filmed interview earlier this year.
Images are by Simon Berry except where stated.
- Anne van Galen designs fashion accessori…es for a "world with endless rainfall"
- Coquille Sofa by Markus Johansson resemb…les the curved form of a shell
- Scout designed by Big-Game now available… at Dezeen Watch Store
- ITSOK Fluorescents by Sighn
- Banksy masterpiece destroyed by vandals
- W Hotels Designers of the Future at Desi…gn Miami/Basel 2011
- Ancient volcanic rock and carbon fibre s…pliced together in Onyx sofa by Peugeot Design Lab
- Drawings on the London Olympics by Clo'e… Floirat
- Big Jambox by Yves Behar for Jawbone at …Dezeen Super Store
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories