Clerkenwell Design Week 2013: designers including Patricia Urquiola, Ab Rogers and Jay Osgerby talk about their participation in Clerkenwell Design Week in the first of a series of movies we filmed during the event.
We spoke to designers at showrooms across the central London district, plus Farmiloe Building and House of Detention hub locations, which all make up Clerkenwell Design Week.
In the movie, Jay Osgerby of design duo Barber Osgerby explains why the area is suited to hosting the event: "[Clerkenwell] is where all the architects and designers are based, it's the perfect environment to show new work to an audience who's really interested in it."
"It brings a level of energy to a fantastic central location," adds designer Ab Rogers.
This fourth edition of the annual event saw the largest exhibitor and visitor numbers, though PearsonLloyd partner Tom Lloyd thinks it still retains a compact local atmosphere.
"I think Clerkenwell is maturing into a great design event," he says. "I think its size is very nice, I think people like the intimacy."
Spanish designer Patricia Urquiola discusses why she likes exhibiting in the British capital: "Being in London always means to be involved in the work we are doing, [promoting] a new product and meeting new people," she tells us. "London always gives you something else."
Also in the movie, Giles Miller talks about his target of reflected pixels installed in front of a medieval gate "to stamp Clerkenwell on the map".
This year's Clerkenwell Design Week took place from 21 to 23 May.
We will be publishing interviews with some of the key designers exhibiting at this year's show in the coming weeks.
The music featured in this movie is a track called Octave by Junior Size, released by French record label Atelier du Sample . You can listen to more Junior Size tracks on Dezeen Music Project.
Photographs are by Jim Stephenson.
- Madelene Björk at New Designers
- Markus Linnenbrink's Off the Wall! insta…llation immerses visitors in colour
- "Timeless design is not a cliché" - Phi…lippe Starck
- Seamless collection by Zaha Hadid
- Moshimy by Michael Young for Native Unio…n
- Dezeen selects the top 7 things to see a…t London Design Festival 2014
- Espasso showcases Brazilian furniture de…sign at Miami's The Shore Club
- Q4 Cradle by Made by Midas
- Punkt. Alarm Clock and Phone by Jasper M…orrison at Dezeen Super Store
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories