Dezeen archive: do architects make good shoe designers? Or do they merely create buildings for the feet? As Zaha Hadid unveils footwear designs for United Nude, we've brought together more shoes by architects such as Jean Nouvel and Oscar Niemeyer (+ slideshow).
Hadid's pair of limited edition shoes for Dutch brand United Nude feature 16.5-centimetre cantilevered heels.
This isn't Hadid's first forray into footwear design: she also created a collection of shoes and boots for Lacoste that spiral up the wearer's legs.
In 2008 she worked with Brazilian brand Melissa to make these moulded plastic designs for Brazilian brand Melissa.
Other architects that have branched into shoe design include Jean Nouvel, who presented leather and rubber boots he designed for Italian brand Ruco Line at an exhibition in Milan earlier this year.
The late Oscar Niemeyer collaborated with Converse to create a range of sneakers and slip-ons patterned influenced by Niemeyer's poetry to celebrate both the architect and brand's 104th birthdays.
London architect Julian Hakes showed his Mojito shoes with no footplate at London Fashion Week in 2010 and he talks about the designs in a movie we filmed at our presentation space Dezeen Platform. See all our stories about the Mojito shoes »
- Dervish by Item for Innermost
- Lite by Animal Farm
- Mary Graham replaces false eyelashes w…ith foraged plants
- Detacho Playhouse by Ben Forman
- Michael Young for Herdeiros Passanha
- Anderssen & Voll reinterprets Magis' …gas-lift barstool
- Veuve Clicquot Out of the Box in Milan
- Spanish Design in Milan 2010
- Erik Spiekermann's first fashion acces…sories are printed like wearable graph paper
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories