These aluminium stools and benches by design graduate Sara Mellone are designed to look like folded pieces of paper.
The Simple Things, Sara Mellone's graduate project from the University of Applied Sciences Düsseldorf, comprises pieces of furniture made from 2.5-millimetre sheets of aluminium that have each been folded four times.
The process of bending the lightweight aluminium gives the furniture strength and ensures that the stools and benches have a stable footing.
"The simple shape of the double fold creates enough strength to build a bench that is three times longer then the stool," says Mellone.
Both designs can be manufactured without any offcuts and don't require any additional parts for assembly.
Mellone has also created a version finished with a white powder coating, which protects the surface from fingerprints and scratches.
- ReCollections by Kiki van Eijk and Joo…st van Bleiswijk
- "Our shoes were the first to cross bet…ween industrial design and fashion" - Rem D Koolhaas
- Little Disk Program by Industrial Faci…lity
- Inflatable furniture by Philipp Beishe…im
- Astronaut designs moon-shaped lamp
- MINI and Touring Superleggera unveil o…pen-top concept car
- Synthetic creatures could "save nature…" says Alexandra Daisy Ginsberg
- Torafu Architects unveils Cobrina wood…en furniture collection
- Float by Benjamin Hubert for Unique Co…penhagen
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories