News: Japanese architect Fumihiko Maki has gathered a throng of designers including Toyo Ito, Sou Fujimoto, Kengo Kuma and Riken Yamamoto to oppose the design of Zaha Hadid's 2020 Olympic Stadium in Tokyo.
Maki, who was awarded the Pritzker Prize in 1993, has organised a symposium where Japanese architects will protest against the scale of the proposed 80,000-seat stadium, which is set to become the main sporting venue for the 2020 Olympic and Paralympic games.
Sou Fujimoto told the Architects' Journal (£) that the campaign was set up because Zaha Hadid's building will be "too big" in relation to its surroundings, which include Kenzo Tange's iconic 1964 Olympic stadium.
"I hope that this protest is successful in shrinking the design to fit the context," he told the magazine. "I'm not fighting Zaha. The competition for the stadium was very rigorous and we can't overturn everything. But the design could be better."
The symposium, entitled Re-thinking the New National Olympic Stadium in the historical context of Gaien, takes place tomorrow and will be streamed live via the Ustream website. Other architects involved include Hidenobu Jinnai, Taro Igarashi, Shinji Miyadai and Tetsuo Furuichi.
Zaha Hadid won a competition to design the stadium in November 2012, seeing off competition from 10 other finalists including Japanese architects SANAA, Toyo Ito and Azusa Sekkei. The judging panel included Tadao Ando, who commented: "The entry's dynamic and futuristic design embodies the messages Japan would like to convey to the rest of the world."
The stadium is set to be completed in 2018.
Hadid previously caused controversy over the design of her Aquatics Centre for the London 2012 Olympic Games, which featured 600 seats with restricted views of the diving events. See more news about Zaha Hadid »
- New Pinterest board: schools
- Wooden logs form the concave facades o…f Studio Gang's Michigan college building
- House in Sikamino by Tense Architectur…e Network
- Memorial for Tree of Knowledge by m3ar…chitecture and Brian Hooper
- Regium Waterfront by Zaha Hadid Archit…ects
- FattyShell (v.01) by Kyle Sturgeon, Ch…ris Holzwart and Kelly Raczkowski
- Box House in Kuwait contains a trio of… apartments with private courtyards
- Gimpo Art Hall by G.Lab*
- MM++ Architects replaces the old walls… of a Vietnam house with red bricks and pivoting glass
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories