Movie: in our next video interview from Inside Festival, Cara Ang of Asylum Creative discusses the Singapore creative agency's pop-up store for watch brand Hublot made from thousands of crystal-like folded paper shapes.
Asylum Creative's pop-up store for Swiss watch brand Hublot, which won the display category at this year's Inside Festival, ran for ten days in September 2012 in the Paragon shopping centre on Orchard Road, Singapore.
It comprised over 35,000 black crystal shapes made of paper suspended on fishing wire to form a pavilion in the shopping centre's main atrium.
"Being a pop-up store, we liked the idea that it was momentary," explains Ang. "We wanted to create the effect of crystals that are falling but captured in a single moment."
The shopping centre's atrium space is six storeys high and Ang says Asylum Creative wanted to design something that made use of this generous vertical space.
"Rather than having a pop-up store that is just sitting on the ground level, we thought it would be great if we could create something that goes upwards," she explains. "We wanted to catch the attention of shoppers that are on the different levels of the mall [so they would] come downstairs to check out the pop-up store."
Ang continues: "The gems were made from paper. It was a glossy, reflective black cardboard that we found to be quite suitable because it catches and reflects light in a way that makes them glow."
Inside Festival 2013 took place at Marina Bay Sands in Singapore from 2 to 4 October. The next Inside Festival will take place at the same venue from 1 to 3 October 2014. Award entries are open February to June 2014.
- Twister by 42 Architects for Topshop
- Albemarle Street store extension by Paul… Smith with 6a Architects
- Suzukake Honten by Case-Real
- Carl Hansen & Søn opens showroom in Lon…don's Clerkenwell
- Former Selfridges hotel converted into B…ritain's largest indoor skatepark
- ReOrder at the Brooklyn Museum by Situ S…tudio
- Groninger Museum renovation by Studio Jo…b, Maarten Baas and Jaime Hayón
- Tokyo Bike store by Emulsion
- Selfridges Men's Designer Space by Alex …Cochrane
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories