News: Zaha Hadid, Richard Rogers and David Chipperfield have been named on a shortlist of six architects in the running to resurrect Joseph Paxton’s Crystal Palace exhibition hall in south London.
London studios Grimshaw, Haworth Tompkins and Marks Barfield Architects also made the shortlist to recreate the "spirit, scale and magnificence" of the iron glass and steel structure that was designed by English architect Paxton to host the Great Exhibition of 1851, but was destroyed by fire in 1936.
Backed by Chinese developer the ZhongRong Group, the new exhibition venue will provide the centrepiece of a wider masterplan for the overhaul of the surrounding 80-hectare park.
"This is a stellar line-up of talent demonstrating the worldwide interest in this unique and challenging project," said London mayor Boris Johnson, who is chairing the judging panel.
"The rebuild of The Crystal Palace is set to produce an extraordinary new landmark for the capital, which will support the rebirth of this historic park and catalyse jobs and growth in the local area," he added.
Up to three of the shortlisted firms will be invited to prepare concept designs later this year. An overall winner will be announced shortly after and construction of the chosen scheme could start in late 2015.
Ni Zhaoxing of ZhongRong Group commented: "The expressions of interest and outstanding shortlist demonstrate the wealth and diversity of design talent inspired by the challenge of rebuilding the Crystal Palace in the spirit of the magnificent original."
Plans to rebuild the Crystal Palace were first announced in October. Dezeen columnist Sam Jacob said the reconstruction will "only make our sense of loss greater".
Main image by Vyonyx.
- Barud House by Paritzki & Liani Architec…ts
- Houses in Cyprus by Iosa Ghini Associati
- Montreal house by naturehumaine features… a brick front and a monochrome back
- Casa Llorens by Eneseis Arquitectura
- De Rotterdam is a "dynamic presence in t…he city," says Rem Koolhaas
- Fall House by Fougeron Architecture step…s down a cliff side
- Wind-dyed House by Kazuhiko Kishimoto/ac…aa
- KH+DH House by Vladimir Kalinowski
- Thomas Phifer's United States Courthouse… is covered in vertical sun shades
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories