Located between Alexanderstrasse and Voltairestrasse, the new Volt Berlin concept store will be targeted towards "adventurous visitors" and will accommodate a department store, a hotel and restaurants, as well as a variety of "experiential offerings".
J Mayer H's design is for a modular structure where different activities are contained within clusters of boxes.
"The experience cluster is a fusion concept combining a multi-brand store, various experiential offerings, events, and a hotel, and is directed towards adventurous visitors with a focus on a smart urban lifestyle," said the studio in a statement.
A horizontal slice of glazing will cut across the centre of the building, revealing the extreme sports taking place within.
"This intermediate space, located at the level of the train viaduct, will host the centre's most important attractions: indoor-skydiving and a surf wave," said the studio.
The projected total floor area of the building is just under 30,000 square metres.
Construction is expected to start next year.
- House on the outskirts of Prague by Mart…in Cenek
- Live Wire by Oyler Wu
- New Concordia Island by Alexander Laing …and Francesco Matteo Belfiore
- Japanese house extension by Container De…sign is arranged around a covered courtyard
- Celtic Museum by Kada Wittfeld Architekt…ur
- Tyršův Stadion by QARTA Architektura
- Casa DJ by [i]da Arquitectos
- Dezeen Screen: Landgrab City by Joseph G…rima and Jeffrey Johnson
- Australian Institute of Architects moves… into sculptural Melbourne tower by Lyons
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories