Located between Alexanderstrasse and Voltairestrasse, the new Volt Berlin concept store will be targeted towards "adventurous visitors" and will accommodate a department store, a hotel and restaurants, as well as a variety of "experiential offerings".
J Mayer H's design is for a modular structure where different activities are contained within clusters of boxes.
"The experience cluster is a fusion concept combining a multi-brand store, various experiential offerings, events, and a hotel, and is directed towards adventurous visitors with a focus on a smart urban lifestyle," said the studio in a statement.
A horizontal slice of glazing will cut across the centre of the building, revealing the extreme sports taking place within.
"This intermediate space, located at the level of the train viaduct, will host the centre's most important attractions: indoor-skydiving and a surf wave," said the studio.
The projected total floor area of the building is just under 30,000 square metres.
Construction is expected to start next year.
- Safe House by Robert Konieczny
- Craig Robins: people thought Miami’s… Art Deco buildings "should be torn down"
- Heatherwick's textured-tower universit…y building completes in Singapore
- IwamotoScott and Leong Leong wrap a Mi…ami parking garage in perforated screens
- House in the Landscape by Kropka Studi…o features walls built from rock-filled cages
- Indian Ocean Tsunami Memorial by Carmo…dy Groarke
- The city of the future "will be both p…hysical and digital"
- Tiny wedge-shaped cabin by Todd Saunde…rs has a terrace puncturing its middle
- Jørn Utzon's unbuilt Schauspielhaus d…igitally resurrected by Virtual Design Unit
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories