Located between Alexanderstrasse and Voltairestrasse, the new Volt Berlin concept store will be targeted towards "adventurous visitors" and will accommodate a department store, a hotel and restaurants, as well as a variety of "experiential offerings".
J Mayer H's design is for a modular structure where different activities are contained within clusters of boxes.
"The experience cluster is a fusion concept combining a multi-brand store, various experiential offerings, events, and a hotel, and is directed towards adventurous visitors with a focus on a smart urban lifestyle," said the studio in a statement.
A horizontal slice of glazing will cut across the centre of the building, revealing the extreme sports taking place within.
"This intermediate space, located at the level of the train viaduct, will host the centre's most important attractions: indoor-skydiving and a surf wave," said the studio.
The projected total floor area of the building is just under 30,000 square metres.
Construction is expected to start next year.
- Clear Lake Cottage by MacLennan Jaunkaln…s Miller Architects
- Dezeen archive: treehouses
- Cedar-clad Stackyard by Mole Architects …is a house based on old rectories
- Gardens by the Bay by Grant Associates a…nd Wilkinson Eyre Architects
- The City in the Building by ADEPT and Lu…plau & Poulsen
- Małopolska Garden of Arts by Ingarden &… Ewý
- Museum in Palmiry by WXCA
- Dezeen's A-Zdvent calendar: Kengo Kuma
- BLALYS by Suga Architects Office
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories