Located between Alexanderstrasse and Voltairestrasse, the new Volt Berlin concept store will be targeted towards "adventurous visitors" and will accommodate a department store, a hotel and restaurants, as well as a variety of "experiential offerings".
J Mayer H's design is for a modular structure where different activities are contained within clusters of boxes.
"The experience cluster is a fusion concept combining a multi-brand store, various experiential offerings, events, and a hotel, and is directed towards adventurous visitors with a focus on a smart urban lifestyle," said the studio in a statement.
A horizontal slice of glazing will cut across the centre of the building, revealing the extreme sports taking place within.
"This intermediate space, located at the level of the train viaduct, will host the centre's most important attractions: indoor-skydiving and a surf wave," said the studio.
The projected total floor area of the building is just under 30,000 square metres.
Construction is expected to start next year.
- Dezeen archive: mobile architecture
- Lazika Municipality by Architects of Inv…ention
- Spanish Pavilion at Shanghai Expo 2010 b…y EMBT
- Corner project by Guise
- Brutalist buildings: Unité d'Habitation…, Marseille by Le Corbusier
- Floating structure by White Arkitekter b…rings harbour swimming to a Danish island
- House NA by Sou Fujimoto Architects
- Fashion Street by Buckley Gray Yeoman
- Tea House by David Jameson
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories