"We have made an advanced decking wrap-around installation. It's super bright and super dynamic," Studio Weave's Eddie Blake told Dezeen. "The London skyline is there, there's a nice concrete building, and then this real burst of colour."
The coloured decking timber is laid in a herringbone pattern, a nod to London-based Studio Weave's name and London College of Fashion (LCF)'s roots.
"We had already been playing around with various weaving ideas, so when LCF approached us with their heritage in textiles we wanted to try to apply some of this thinking," said Blake.
"The whole thing was done with reference to basket weave – trying to make timber look as if it's woven. The timber is just low-cost off-the-shelf larch decking. The idea was to find a super quick way of making something beautiful and colourful."
The colours were added using a combination of wood stain and decking paint.
Originally conceived as an outdoor space for students to relax in, the new roof garden with its mixture of planters, seats and tables will also host social gatherings, small group learning and the Fashion Space Gallery's events programme.
The space launched during the London Festival of Architecture with a series of events organised by curator Meneesha Kellay.
This latest commission follows Relaunch, a series of events commissioned by Fashion Space Gallery director Ligaya Salazar in April, which opened with a live shoe-dying performance by footwear designer Benjamin John Hall.
Located directly behind Oxford Circus, the Fashion Space Gallery at LCF is a contemporary exhibition space presenting programme of exhibitions exploring fashion and design.
Studio Weave has previously used brightly coloured timber for an art studio, bird-watching hide and rain shelter at a woodland park in Kent, as well as a looping bench that seats 300 people. See more projects by Studio Weave »
- Paris music school by Basalt Architect…ure features copper walls and cantilevered studios
- Tsunagu by Kengo Kuma
- Wise Architecture dismantles a 300-yea…r-old house and resurrects it as a cafe
- National Museum of African American Hi…story and Culture by Freelon Adjaye Bond/SmithGroup
- Voussoir Cloud by IwamotoScott
- A House in a Church by Ruud Visser Arc…hitects
- Community Centre in Tyrol by Machné A…rchitekten
- Porta Fira Towers by Toyo Ito and b720… Arquitectos
- Abstract photography by Lewis Bush chr…onicles the "aggressive redevelopment" of London
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories