Dezeen Magazine

Global PechaKucha Day for Haiti

Dezeen is proud to be media partner for Global PechaKucha Day for Haiti, a series of 2000 presentations that will take place around the world on 20 February to raise money for rebuilding Haiti in the wake of last month's earthquake.

Above: Logo designed by Shepard Fairey's Studio Number One.
Above: Logo designed by Shepard Fairey's Studio Number One. founders Astrid Klein and Mark Dytham have teamed up with Architecture for Humanity for the project, which aims to raise $1,000,000 for rebuilding Haiti.

They aim for 200 cities around the world to host events in the PechaKucha format, where speakers present 20 images and talk about each for 20 seconds. Find your nearest event here.

These will form a wave of presentations moving around the world, starting in New Zealand and moving westwards one city at a time. This wave of presentations will be broadcast continuously online.

Many of the presentations will be on themes relating to Haiti, creating a database of information on the PechaKucha Presentation Player that can be built on in future.

Money will be raised through discretionary donations on the door of each event as well as a donation button next to each presentation online. All money raised will be used for rebuilding Haiti.

More information on the Global PechaKucha Day for Haiti website. Listen to Astrid Klein, Mark Dytham and Cameron Sinclair of Architecture for Humanity launching the project here.

Here are some details from the organisers:


Global PechaKucha Day for Haiti - 20th February

20th February, 20 images x 20 seconds, 200 cities, 2000 presentation, 200,000 people

On Saturday 20 February PechaKucha events will be held all around the world. All the PechaKucha Night cities will be connected by a 24-hour PechaKucha presentation WAVE that will gradually move westward city by city, circumnavigating the globe. The wave will be dropping in on each city for around 10 minutes for a video link up and a live presentation. This presentation wave will be streamed over the internet on a 24-hour WAVEcast, which we think will be a world first.


The PechaKucha Presentation WAVE will start simultaneously in SuperDeluxe in Tokyo where PechaKucha Night was first conceived, and in our most easterly city in New Zealand. It will then move west crossing all times zones and cultures. The PechaKucha WAVE will finally come ashore in San Francisco, where Architecture for Humanity (AFH) is headquartered. AFH's founder, Cameron Sinclair, will be there with the rest of San Francisco to give presentations and celebrate the successful circumnavigation of the world. That will be about 1pm Sunday Japan time. We plan to a have a big event in Tokyo, linking to San Francisco by video so we can all focus our thoughts on Haiti.


As well as raising awareness about the situation in Haiti, Global PechaKucha Day aims to raise money for reconstruction in Haiti. How do we plan to do this? At most event locations there will be a suggested donation at the door, but this is completely discretionary. We estimate that PechaKucha for Haiti will generate more than 2000 presentations - either on the 20th or at PechaKucha events before or afterwards. All of these presentations will be recorded and uploaded to the PechaKucha Presentation Player where they can be viewed online.


Each presentation will have a donation button where people can leave a donation, their name and a message. The idea is that the presenters can send a link to their presentation to friends and colleagues and encourage donations - rather like a sponsored walk. Some really amazing and well known presenters are stepping forward to make 20x20 presentations, so be prepared to be surprised - and be prepared to donate!


All the funds raised go directly to Architecture for Humanity's 501(c) Non-Profit organisation in the US without passing through PechaKucha. One hundred percent of the money raised will be used for building facilities in Haiti - PechaKucha will not take anything. Normally at AFH, 88% of the money is spent on design and construction services, the remaining 12% going to fundraising, outreach and administrative costs. But since AFH have already covered the design costs regarding Haiti, all the funds raised by this event will be spent on reconstruction.