Design Indaba update: a condom applicator designed to help AIDS prevention has been named the Most Beautiful Object in South Africa by Dutch designer Jurgen Bey.
The applicator, invented by Willem van Rensburg and designed by industrial designer Roelf Mulder of South Africa's XYZ Design, allows a condom to be put on easily and rapidly.
It is hoped the design will encourage the use of condoms, thereby helping reduce the spread of AIDS.
The applicator, which was selected for the SAFE exhibition at MoMA in New York two years ago and is in the museum's permanent collection is now being marketed and sold under the Pronto brand.
>> see more news from Design Indaba here
>> see Matali Crasset's new sex toy here
- Ruhrsteine by Formfjord
- Julia Krantz at R 20th Century
- Dezeen Screen: Moody Couch by Hanna Em…elie Ernsting
- Beer Foamer by Norm Architects promise…s better pints
- Luno by Martin Jakobsen
- Thonet Concept Bike by Andy Martin Stu…dio
- Dezeen podcast: Stefan Sagmeister at V…ienna Design Week
- All the Forces at Spazio Rossana Orlan…di
- ChargerFrame by Naolab
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories