Design Indaba update: a condom applicator designed to help AIDS prevention has been named the Most Beautiful Object in South Africa by Dutch designer Jurgen Bey.
The applicator, invented by Willem van Rensburg and designed by industrial designer Roelf Mulder of South Africa's XYZ Design, allows a condom to be put on easily and rapidly.
It is hoped the design will encourage the use of condoms, thereby helping reduce the spread of AIDS.
The applicator, which was selected for the SAFE exhibition at MoMA in New York two years ago and is in the museum's permanent collection is now being marketed and sold under the Pronto brand.
>> see more news from Design Indaba here
>> see Matali Crasset's new sex toy here
- La Cura by Studio Toogood at MOST
- Roksanda's Resort 2016 fashion collect…ion is patterned with Cubist shapes
- Digital camera concept by Jared Mankel…ow
- Piet Hein Eek uses offcuts from his sc…rap wood furniture to make Waste Waste 40x40
- Watches by Denis Guidone for NAVA Desi…gn
- Cloud Table by Studio Maks recharges p…hones
- Postmodernism is back: introducing Dez…een's Pomo summer
- Drop umbrella by Ayca Dundar is made o…f just six parts
- Verner Panton influences colour palett…e for Sibling's Autumn Winter 2015 collection
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories