Design Indaba update: a condom applicator designed to help AIDS prevention has been named the Most Beautiful Object in South Africa by Dutch designer Jurgen Bey.
The applicator, invented by Willem van Rensburg and designed by industrial designer Roelf Mulder of South Africa's XYZ Design, allows a condom to be put on easily and rapidly.
It is hoped the design will encourage the use of condoms, thereby helping reduce the spread of AIDS.
The applicator, which was selected for the SAFE exhibition at MoMA in New York two years ago and is in the museum's permanent collection is now being marketed and sold under the Pronto brand.
>> see more news from Design Indaba here
>> see Matali Crasset's new sex toy here
- ROC Apeldoorn reception area by Tjep.
- Dezeen Watch Store pop-up at SuperDesign
- Carafe and glass by Mathieu Lehanneur fo…r Ricard
- Sofie Lachaert and Luc d'Hanis build tem…porary housing terrace for exhibition
- Microbial Home by Philips Design
- Lighting by e15 to debut in Milan
- Norbert Wangen for Boffi
- Dezeen Book of Ideas: Pewter Stool by Ma…x Lamb
- All the Forces at Spazio Rossana Orlandi
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories