Design Indaba update: a condom applicator designed to help AIDS prevention has been named the Most Beautiful Object in South Africa by Dutch designer Jurgen Bey.
The applicator, invented by Willem van Rensburg and designed by industrial designer Roelf Mulder of South Africa's XYZ Design, allows a condom to be put on easily and rapidly.
It is hoped the design will encourage the use of condoms, thereby helping reduce the spread of AIDS.
The applicator, which was selected for the SAFE exhibition at MoMA in New York two years ago and is in the museum's permanent collection is now being marketed and sold under the Pronto brand.
>> see more news from Design Indaba here
>> see Matali Crasset's new sex toy here
- Jack Albert Trew designs bicycle-powered… centrifuge to enable blood testing in rural Africa
- Forest of One Room by Naruse Inokuma
- CLS Mobile Drive by Sylvain Willenz
- Tjep. creates Bronze Age furniture in op…position to 3D printing
- Tropicalia by Patricia Urquiola
- Engineering Temporality by Tuomas Markun…poika Tolvanen
- Extrusions by Thomas Heatherwick
- Blond and Bieber's dyes made from algae …"don't harm nature at all"
- One Handed Condom Wrapper by Ben Pawle
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories