Design Indaba update: a condom applicator designed to help AIDS prevention has been named the Most Beautiful Object in South Africa by Dutch designer Jurgen Bey.
The applicator, invented by Willem van Rensburg and designed by industrial designer Roelf Mulder of South Africa's XYZ Design, allows a condom to be put on easily and rapidly.
It is hoped the design will encourage the use of condoms, thereby helping reduce the spread of AIDS.
The applicator, which was selected for the SAFE exhibition at MoMA in New York two years ago and is in the museum's permanent collection is now being marketed and sold under the Pronto brand.
>> see more news from Design Indaba here
>> see Matali Crasset's new sex toy here
- Arne Quinze for Jaga 2
- Urban Adapter by Rocker-Lange Architects
- Snoopy by Iskos-Berlin for Versus
- Pitt-Pollaro furniture collection by Bra…d Pitt
- Edible tableware by Rice-Design
- Swing Table by Duffy London
- Reed Krakoff creates furniture made from… felt for Established & Sons
- Mercury by Ziiiro available in new colou…rs at Dezeen Watch Store
- House of Furniture Parts by Studio Makki…nk & Bey
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories