Design Indaba update: a condom applicator designed to help AIDS prevention has been named the Most Beautiful Object in South Africa by Dutch designer Jurgen Bey.
The applicator, invented by Willem van Rensburg and designed by industrial designer Roelf Mulder of South Africa's XYZ Design, allows a condom to be put on easily and rapidly.
It is hoped the design will encourage the use of condoms, thereby helping reduce the spread of AIDS.
The applicator, which was selected for the SAFE exhibition at MoMA in New York two years ago and is in the museum's permanent collection is now being marketed and sold under the Pronto brand.
>> see more news from Design Indaba here
>> see Matali Crasset's new sex toy here
- The Idea of a Tree by Mischer’Traxler
- Sugru pop-up and giveaway at 13:00 this …Sunday at Dezeen Space
- Bettina Madita Böhm creates Apiarium hi…ve for urban beekeepers
- ONE calendar by Jeong Yong
- Mathilda by Patricia Urquiola for Moroso
- Pieteke Korte creates optical illusions …with leather for Visual Interferences collection
- Marlies Schets' reflective fabrics turn …everyday accessories into cycling safety gear
- Safety Vase by Hannah Niskanen-Benady
- Blue Frog Lounge by Serie Architects
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories