Design Indaba update: a condom applicator designed to help AIDS prevention has been named the Most Beautiful Object in South Africa by Dutch designer Jurgen Bey.
The applicator, invented by Willem van Rensburg and designed by industrial designer Roelf Mulder of South Africa's XYZ Design, allows a condom to be put on easily and rapidly.
It is hoped the design will encourage the use of condoms, thereby helping reduce the spread of AIDS.
The applicator, which was selected for the SAFE exhibition at MoMA in New York two years ago and is in the museum's permanent collection is now being marketed and sold under the Pronto brand.
>> see more news from Design Indaba here
>> see Matali Crasset's new sex toy here
- Madrid installs moon-themed Christmas li…ghts
- Angell, Wyller & Aarseth's Saddle Chair …features pockets in each arm
- Mondaine Evo Big Date now available at D…ezeen Watch Store
- Wästberg lighting collection 09
- Izabela Bołoz's Intersections modules i…nterlock to form street furniture
- Myrkr Chair by WORD
- Heavy Desk Light by Benjamin Hubert for …Decode
- L’Hélicoptère par Hermès
- Movie: Nike Zoom Victory Elite
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories