Design Indaba update: a condom applicator designed to help AIDS prevention has been named the Most Beautiful Object in South Africa by Dutch designer Jurgen Bey.
The applicator, invented by Willem van Rensburg and designed by industrial designer Roelf Mulder of South Africa's XYZ Design, allows a condom to be put on easily and rapidly.
It is hoped the design will encourage the use of condoms, thereby helping reduce the spread of AIDS.
The applicator, which was selected for the SAFE exhibition at MoMA in New York two years ago and is in the museum's permanent collection is now being marketed and sold under the Pronto brand.
>> see more news from Design Indaba here
>> see Matali Crasset's new sex toy here
- Training Dresser by Peter Bristol
- Ex Libris by Chanan de Lange
- Nendo designs brand identity for skincar…e based on Chinese medicine
- Malva by Ett la Benn
- Moooi's use of "shocking" naked photogra…phy was inspired by the fashion industry
- Runaway lamp by Nika Zupanc
- Phonofone II by Tristan Zimmermann
- Space Replay floats hauntingly through s…paces echoing its surroundings
- Barkow Leibinger chose "strong and elast…ic" cotton for tensile installation in Marrakech
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories