Design Indaba update: a condom applicator designed to help AIDS prevention has been named the Most Beautiful Object in South Africa by Dutch designer Jurgen Bey.
The applicator, invented by Willem van Rensburg and designed by industrial designer Roelf Mulder of South Africa's XYZ Design, allows a condom to be put on easily and rapidly.
It is hoped the design will encourage the use of condoms, thereby helping reduce the spread of AIDS.
The applicator, which was selected for the SAFE exhibition at MoMA in New York two years ago and is in the museum's permanent collection is now being marketed and sold under the Pronto brand.
>> see more news from Design Indaba here
>> see Matali Crasset's new sex toy here
- Pappa TARAHUMARA Punk Don Quixote by Tor…afu Architects
- Noughts and Crosses tables by Michael So…deau for Modus
- Dreamball by Unplug Design
- Wearable technology needs to "transcend …the world of gadgets"
- Frost by Front for Stelton
- Fountain Hacks by LIKEarchitects and Ric…ardo Dourado
- Oliver Richardson stacks kitchen utensil…s into miniature totem poles
- Mrs Hudson by 2-B-2
- Made in Japan by Antrepo
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories