Here are photos of the six finalists for the Mies van der Rohe Award 2007, starting with the Mercedes-Benz Museum, Stuttgart, Germany, Ben van Berkel of UNStudio (above, photo © Brigida González.)
Above: America’s Cup Building (Edifici Veles e Vents), Valencia, Spain, by David Chipperfield / David Chipperfield Architects and Fermin Vázquez / b720 Arquitectos. Photo © Hisao Suzuki.
Above: the National Choreographic Centre, Aix-en-Provence, France by architect Rudy Ricciotti Photo © Philippe Ruault.
Above: Phæno Science Centre (Phæno Die Experimentierlandschaff), Wolfsburg, Germany, by Zaha Hadid of Zaha Hadid Architects. Photo © Werner Huthmacher.
Above: Sines Arts Centre (Centro de artes de Sines), Sines, Portugal, by Francisco Aires Mateus and Manuel Aires Mateus, Aires Mateus e Associados. Photo © Daniel Malhão.
Above: School for Management (Pôle universitaire de sciences de gestion), Bordeaux, France, by Anne Lacaton, Jean Philippe Vassal of Lacaton & Vassal Architectes. Photo © Lacaton & Vassal (David Pradel).
Below is a short statement from the Mies prize jury on the finalists:
In addition to the [overall winner] MUSAC, the jury of the European Union Prize for Contemporary Architecture – Mies van der Rohe Award 2007, chaired by architect Ricky Burdett and formed by Peter Cachola Schmal, Beth Galí, Bettina Götz, Luis Fernández Galiano, Ellen van Loon, Mohsen Mostafavi, Francis Rambert, Dietmar Steiner and Lluís Hortet as secretary, selected six other finalists as candidates for the Award, one of the most important and prestigious on the international architecture scene.
This selection is a faithful reflection of the principal objective underlying the Award, namely to acknowledge excellent and innovative projects characterised by high-quality construction.
- Moving school by Amadeo Bennetta and D…an LaRossa for Building Trust
- New Court, Rothschild Bank headquarter…s by OMA with Allies and Morrison
- Serpentine Gallery Pavilion by SANAA (…more images)
- TVK transforms Place de la République… into Paris' largest pedestrian square
- Aromatic Fabrication by Hung-Pin Hsueh
- Maggie’s Centre by Rogers Stirk Harb…our + Partners wins Stirling Prize
- Casa Itu by Studio Arthur Casas
- Dezeen archive: perforated metal facad…es
- Nesher Memorial auditorium and gallery… by SO Architecture
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories