New Designers 07: Ty-bihan is a combined dining table and storage system designed by Gaël Horsfall, a graduate from the contemporary design course at Buckinghamshire Chilterns University College in England.
The design, which comes with a built-in light and benches, is inspired by Breton kitchens and was on show at the New Designers exhibition which ended in London yesterday.
Here is a statement from Horsfall:
Inspired by my Breton background, this piece of furniture has developed from taking a cross-section of an old Breton kitchen. As often the only room in an old Breton home, furniture within this space had to function together.
Ty-bihan developed from re-interpreting this environment into a contemporary dining space where table, shelving, seating & lighting combine to create one furniture form.
Update: Ty-Bihan is Breton for "little house".
- Storyboard by Jan Van Hoof
- Forrest Myers at Hedge Gallery
- Funktionide by Stefan Ulrich
- Overlapping "petals" surround Mario Ales…siani's Bloemi lamp
- Tom Dixon in Milan 2009
- Bookmark lamp by Léonard Kadid
- Stanley Series by Simon Donald
- Alleles Design Studio turns prosthetic l…imbs into a fashion statement
- Claesson Koivisto Rune extends its W131a…luminium lighting range for Wästberg
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories