4D Glass is a project that uses a computer-generated wireframe model as decoration on a physical object.
Designer Jonathan Krawczuk has taken a wine glass and engraved its surface with a 3D representation of the same glass modelled on a computer.
Here is a short explanation from Krawczuk:
‘4D Glass’ forges a relationship between an on screen, computer generated model and the actual physical object.
When creating a 3 dimensional representation on a computer programme a ‘skeleton’ of the object is formed, known as the wireframe.
In an attempt to fuse the virtual and the physical world, this wireframe has been engraved onto the surface of the glass. This concept sees the computer being used to automate a linear pattern, specific to the object itself.
- UNStudio's Gemini chair "allows a variet…y of seating positions" for working or lounging
- Kate Winslet designs for Habitat
- DoorBot wireless doorbell by Edison Juni…or Design Laboratory
- Ear Chair by Studio Makkink & Bey
- Identity Parade by Adam Nathaniel Furman
- Z-Boat by Zaha Hadid
- Ming Kong develops tactile interface to …navigate CAD environments
- Memorabilia Factory by Bold-design
- Punkt. DP 01 by Jasper Morrison
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories