Architects Coop Himmelb[l]au have won a competition to design a new museum building in Shenzhen, China.
Details from the architects:
COOP HIMMELB(L)AU design wins competition for the Museum of Contemporary Art & Planning Exhibition in Shenzhen, China.
The Shenzhen Municipal Culture Bureau / Shenzhen Municipal Planning Bureau has commissioned COOP HIMMELB(L)AU to design the Museum of Contemporary Art & Planning Exhibition in Shenzhen, China.
The design is an urban meeting point and serves as a dynamic element in the progressive system of the city of Shenzen in the middle of their new center, the "Futian Cultural Center". The building integrates itself in the language of the established master plan with a site area of approximately 30.000 sqm and represents the discovery of an individual exciting object.
The form of the 40 m high building is a result of a vertical extrusion and rotation from the rectangular ground floor through to the roof level. A new entry orientation has been achieved through this rotation to the axial center of the cultural zone of the Futian Central District and to the main circulatory flows. The resulting rotation generates a dynamic building in the form of an "active wave". By using black anodized metal and black glass, the active wave is frozen into an urban monolith.
- The Stratford Shoal by Studio Egret West
- V21K01 by Pasel Kuenzel Architects
- Small house in Shinjuku by Junpei Nousak…u Architects
- Black-painted S House by Hammerschmid Pa…chl Seebacher raised up on stilts
- House for Three Children by Masato Sekiy…a
- Harvest Pavilion by Vector Architects
- The Dome by Héctor Serrano at Coachella
- Tour Signal by Jean Nouvel
- ICD/ITKE Research Pavilion at the Univer…sity of Stuttgart
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories