Don Vu of Loom Studio explains the project:
The 12 blocks project is a research project that was funded by the Minnesota Masonry Institute to investigate the potential and possibilities of regular CMU or concrete masonry units. By using the manufacturing process and wear parts within the process, we were able to find ways to change the face of CMU blocks to create more dynamic wall surfaces that interact with the environment around it.
We've recently won an R+D award from Architect magazine and now we've just launched a mini-site devoted to our 12 Blocks project, which exposes more the process and strategies that we have addressed within this project that goes further than what was published in Architect magazine.
We are currently trying to gain more press on the 12 blocks project to further its development and get manufacturers involved to start prototyping and producing the blocks to hopefully get it on the market.
We're proud of this project and see its potential in the building market. We're hoping that you also see the potential with this project and are willing to help disseminate the project to the public.
- Mecanoo's first US project incorporates …historic facades into Boston civic building
- Isbjerget by JDS Architects, CEBRA, SeAR…CH and Louis Paillard
- UK Pavilion at Shanghai Expo 2010 by Tho…mas Heatherwick - more images
- Sheraton Huzhou Hot Spring Resort by MAD
- Tham & Videgård's Husarö House is a sc…enic retreat on the Stockholm archipelago
- Villa in the Czech mountains combines pe…rforated metal with stone gabions
- Twin Peaks House by Apparat-C has a zigz…agging roof profile
- Drone movie shows progress on Apple Camp…us construction
- Vanke Center Shenzhen by Steven Holl Arc…hitects
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories