Don Vu of Loom Studio explains the project:
The 12 blocks project is a research project that was funded by the Minnesota Masonry Institute to investigate the potential and possibilities of regular CMU or concrete masonry units. By using the manufacturing process and wear parts within the process, we were able to find ways to change the face of CMU blocks to create more dynamic wall surfaces that interact with the environment around it.
We've recently won an R+D award from Architect magazine and now we've just launched a mini-site devoted to our 12 Blocks project, which exposes more the process and strategies that we have addressed within this project that goes further than what was published in Architect magazine.
We are currently trying to gain more press on the 12 blocks project to further its development and get manufacturers involved to start prototyping and producing the blocks to hopefully get it on the market.
We're proud of this project and see its potential in the building market. We're hoping that you also see the potential with this project and are willing to help disseminate the project to the public.
- Casa Paracaima by DCPP Arquitectos
- Clapham Library by Studio Egret West
- DSDHA's Covert House is designed to camo…uflage with its surroundings
- s_DenK house by SoHo Architektur has a k…inked facade
- The Corten House by DMOA architecten is …surrounded by weathered steel fins
- Mosquée d’Algérie by KSP Jürgen Eng…el Architekten
- Timber gallery sits above the veranda of… Salmela Architect's lakeside retreat
- New London Embassy by KieranTimberlake
- Rødovre Skyscraper by MVRDV and ADEPT
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories