Design Miami 07: Tomáš Gabzdil Libertiny of Studio Libertiny presented a project called Paper Vases at Design Miami last week, which involved laminating 700 sheets of paper into a solid block and then turning this into a vase on a lathe.
Each sheet of paper is printed with an identical image of a tree, creating an ghostly tree pattern on the surface of the vases.
The project explores how paper - a product made from trees - can be returned to its original state and carved as if it were wood.
The vases are produced in a limited edition of ten sets of five vases.
The sheets of paper are glued with wood glue and left in a hydraulic press to dry.
These photos show how the vases are made.
Libertiny also designed the Honeycomb Vases, which are made by bees inside a hive.
- New Pinterest board: Milan 2013
- Designed in Hackney: London 2012 Olympic… Torch by BarberOsgerby
- Force Lamp and Boy’s Lamp by Nika Zupa…nc
- Steam Roaster by Compeixalaigua Design S…tudio
- Ovo high chair by CuldeSac
- New watches at the Dezeen Watch Store
- Marcel Wanders for Villa Moda in Bahrain
- LDN by Ross Lovegrove and NYC by KiBiSi …for Biomega
- Kathryn Fleming proposes engineering ani…mals to thwart extinction
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories