Stockholm Design Week: Swedish designers Folkform have launched a furniture range that combines luxury materials such as Carrara marble and vintage leather with cheap imitation products such as laminate and fake leather.
Called Unique Standard, the range consists of a leather/fake leather bench (top image), a cabinet finished in Carrara marble and Carrara-effect laminate (above), and further cabinets that combine granite and laminate and Masonit and birch.
The following text and the captions are from Folkform:
Unique Standard - “New interpretations of today´s standard materials”
The new collection Unique Standard, questions our perception of various materials. What happens when we combine the original material with surfaces that try to imitate its appearance?
Above: Masonit Chest with 18 drawers. Materials: Masonit hardboard, birch wood
Above and below: Leather Bench. Materials: leather, synthetic leather (original leather from Danish designer Arne Jacobsen's “Swan Chair” in combination with “synthetic leather imitation” and patterns often used in car seats)
Below: Marble Laminate Cabinet. Materials: Carrara marble, marble laminate
Below: MDF Display Case. Materials: MDF, granite
- Anya Sebton designs flexible storage sys…tem for Lammhults
- Shane Schneck's Bollard light is four la…mps in one
- Age of the World by Mathieu Lehanneur
- Secret Friend Family by Tithi Kutchamuch
- Ingo Maurer with Ron Arad
- Furniture by Postfossil
- To Become One by Erwin Zwiers
- New magazines: "A lasting record of the …world of design at a point in time"
- Studio Job raids its own archive to crea…te wallpaper patterns
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories