Japanese architects Kiyonobu Nakagame have updated their website, showing work including House in Sendai-Kasumi.
The house, overlooking the city of Sendai, was completed in September last year.
Here's some information from Kiyonobu Nakagame and Associates:
The house sits on the hill top that overlooks the city of Sendai, situated within the area called Yakiyama offering magnificent views of cliffs that rise from the Hirose River running at the bottom.
The site has an elongated configuration in a North/South orientation, adjoined by existing houses on both sides.
The site planning was conceived in relation to the density of neighboring houses and consisted of the elongated volume placed along the site and the large garden adjoined to it.
While the site descends towards the cliff side the house volume is lifted up, creating the gap between them in which the garden, the living room and even the marvelous view of Sendai integrate with each another and become a large unified site as a whole.
In terms of HVAC, we contrived effective heating systems. Although Sendai is not fully a cold district adequate heating devices were still necessary, considering the frequent strong north winds blowing up the hill. Hydronic radiant floor heating was applied to the entire floor area in the large room on the 1st floor. Furthermore, hydronic heating is also provided on the walls in each room, creating comfortable spaces with the radiant heat.
Location: Sendai, Miyagi Prefecture
Architects: Kiyonobu Nakagame & Associates
Engineers: Kanebako structural engineers
General contractor: Prolog
Completion date: September, 2007
- RIBA Manser Medal shortlist
- Combined home and barber shop features e…xposed ceiling beams
- "Copying is both fundamental and dangero…us to architecture" - Sam Jacob of FAT
- House in Japan designed by Kazuki Moroe …to respect the shrine next door
- Garden studio by Serge Schoemaker has a …dark, rough exterior and a light-filled interior
- The Light Pavilion by Lebbeus Woods with… Christoph a. Kumpusch
- Parish House St. Josef by Frei + Saarine…n Architects
- Villa Storingavika by Saunders Architect…ure
- Designed in Hackney: Hampstead Lane by D…uggan Morris Architects
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories