Designer Ben Wilson has produced a monowheel - a cycle where the rider sits inside a large, spokeless wheel.
"As part of the exhibition the 21st century man (showing at 21-21 tokyo midtown until july) I was comissioned to create a new piece of work," says Wilson.
"Ever since cycling for the first time without stablisers I have been fascinated by human propulsion. Over the years the myth of the monowheel has become an equal fascination."
"Since the 1860s many patents have been filed in the monowheel's name and today there are even rumors of a production monowheel in China, but as it stands there is nothing currently available. As we couldn’t buy a monowheel we made one."
"We don't suggest for one moment that a functioning human powered monowheel could ever provide an improvement on the modern bicycle. Instead its value comes from the discourse and ideas generated as a result of this research."
- Theatre box-shaped shelves by Cecilie Ma…nz feature in Iittala's latest collection
- Nomu by Lee West for Eno
- Log Clock by Piotr Stolarski
- Buildings of Disaster in gold by Constan…tin and Laurene Boym
- Campana Brothers at Albion Gallery
- Ora-Ito kitchen goes on European tour
- Design studio Raw Edges "feels like part… of the Moroso family"
- Blond and Bieber's dyes made from algae …"don't harm nature at all"
- Colour Injector lamp by Taras Sgibnev
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories