Designer Ben Wilson has produced a monowheel - a cycle where the rider sits inside a large, spokeless wheel.
"As part of the exhibition the 21st century man (showing at 21-21 tokyo midtown until july) I was comissioned to create a new piece of work," says Wilson.
"Ever since cycling for the first time without stablisers I have been fascinated by human propulsion. Over the years the myth of the monowheel has become an equal fascination."
"Since the 1860s many patents have been filed in the monowheel's name and today there are even rumors of a production monowheel in China, but as it stands there is nothing currently available. As we couldn’t buy a monowheel we made one."
"We don't suggest for one moment that a functioning human powered monowheel could ever provide an improvement on the modern bicycle. Instead its value comes from the discourse and ideas generated as a result of this research."
- Marc Newson designs "revolutionary" dr…aft beer machine for Heineken
- Nipple lights by Naama Arbel
- Suspended Figure by Ayako Maruta at Di…esel Denim Gallery Aoyama
- Jack Albert Trew designs bicycle-power…ed centrifuge to enable blood testing in rural Africa
- Dressed Up Furniture by KAMKAM
- Design Museum Collection App:driving m…ovies
- Labware by Benjamin Hubert for Authent…ics
- Campana Brothers at Albion Gallery
- Objects by Estudio Carme Pinós
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories