Fractal Table by designers Platform Wertel Oberfell with Matthias Bär mimics fractal growth patterns found in nature.
The rapid-prototyped table features trunk-like legs that divide into ever smaller branches and form a patterned top surface.
The project was created in conjunction with rapid manufacturing company Materialise.MGX.
Here's a bit more information from the designers:
Project title : Fractal Table
Fractal Table is a table piece which derives from studies into fractal growth patterns. Treelike stems grow into smaller branches until they get very dense towards the top. Fractal Table, developed by Platform Wertel Oberfell together with Matthias Bär, is impossible to manufacture unless rapid prototyped.
- Noose light by Ana-Maria Pasescu Stewart
- Konstantin Grcic at Qubique 2011
- "At the beginning I was a bit afraid, bu…t this boat is very stable"
- Cuts by Philippe Nigro for Ligne Roset
- Dandilight by Benjamin Hubert
- New work by Tom Dixon
- The Pixel Hirschgasse by Thomas Feichtne…r
- False Friends by Coarse
- Special feature: design by celebrities
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories