Mizu spa by Stanley Saitowitz

| 19 comments

mizu-spa-by-stanley-saitowitz-squ1.jpg

Architect Stanley Saitowitz designed the interior of Mizu Spa, a day spa in San Francisco.

mizu-spa-by-stanley-saitowitz-rocks.jpg

The communal area is used for manicures and pedicures, while private rooms at the back of the spa are used for facial and massage therapies.

mizu-spa-by-stanley-saitowitz-stations-detail.jpg

The following text is from Saitowitz:

--

The project is a day spa in Mission Bay district of San Francisco, in an 1800 square feet bare concrete-space,

mizu-spa-by-stanley-saitowitz-stations.jpg

Mizu is water, which Mizu Spa embodies. The atmosphere is a tranquil stream. At the center is a river of rock, around which the communal therapy barge floats in space.

mizu-spa-by-stanley-saitowitz.jpg

The walls are draped in shimmering mesh creating light and fluid edges. The horizontal surfaces of floor and ceiling are black. Everything else is pure and white.

mizu-spa-by-stanley-saitowitz-manicure.jpg

Mizu Spa is a place for pampering, rejuvinating and transforming. Treatments include facials, massage and nails.

mizu-spa-by-stanley-saitowitz-2.jpg

The central object is a prosthetic throne to sit on. Soft pads pamper the body. Arms rest, hands support, feet soak, and the provider glides around on stools.

mizu-spa-by-stanley-saitowitz-room.jpg

Behind the communal therapy area are private rooms for facials and massage. In the bathroom, below the sinks, rocks again appear as water. Mizu is about beauty.

mizu-spa-by-stanley-saitowitz-service.jpg

  • mvb

    Relaxing design!

  • edward

    Modernistic, as they used to say. Checking Saitowitz’s portfolio, I am pleased to note his enthusiasm for regular rectilinear columns eschewing the tortured formless shapes of so many of his contemporaries. Bravo!

  • tadao cern

    Not for me

  • laila

    cool

  • MiuMiu

    Honestly I don’t bother coming lately to dezeen. Most of the stuff that’s being published lately is rubbish…

  • http://www.homerejuvenation.blogspot.com Stan

    Taking a leaf from Japanese minimalism?

  • Zenza

    I like 80%… the other 20% is crap.

  • eduardo

    Nice atmosphere for what it is suposed to be the use of it!!!

  • day

    too modern

  • chachi

    too modern? wtf? i love it, a rigorously executed design. clear, calming, and very japanese. the rocks really anchor it and provide the relief from the hard angles. as we say in my ‘hood, that sh*t is tight.

  • msa

    is that the malmo spa suite from ikea?

  • Alan

    too modern? you are definitely on the wrong website

  • Honkie

    Perhaps ‘They’ could have checked before allowing copies of Shin Azumi’s stools for LaPalma to be used in this interior. Dezeen should take this article down; it would be a good message to architects, developers and designers desperate to protect their own work to also keep a look out for others in the industry.

  • bel

    Looks prom, functional, clean & well planned… good design all in all…

  • Soud

    Nice, but i feel sorry for the staff sitting on those benches all day….

  • Charlotte

    can I just say WAUW…
    really love it!
    But indeed, I hope the staff can profit a back rub too, they will need it

  • http://poppypetunia.blogspot.com JUST COOL Design Blog

    aesthetically it doesnt float my boat – a little too sharp and sterile looking, although you like these places especially to be sterile… sooo…i guess its ok…

  • gee

    beautiful, space! a little cold and i do feel sorry for the staff. Form over function does not always work to advantage of client and therapist.

  • http://www.gorskydesign.co.il ziva

    beautiful!!!