More from h2o Architectes: h2o bench is a modular furniture system designed for the main square of Valenciennes in northern France.
Made from fibre concrete, the components can be configured to form stools, benches and chairs for public seating.
See h2o's Chatou garden pavilion in our previous story.
Here's some more information from h2o Architectes:
The h2o bench is one component of our winning design for the urban project competition for the main square of Valenciennes, a town in the north of France. Drawing from previous research on global urban conditions and “in-between situations”, the design concept is centred around the ideas of indeterminacy and instability. It offers opportunities for user appropriation by encouraging invention of activities and modification of the individual’s place in increasingly controlled social spaces.
The research focused on the investigation of five themes: minimal form, non-orientation, sculptural quality, flexibility and additive qualities. These five elements also relate the narrative identity of the object : what do objects tell us?
Our bench dissociates itself from ordinary conditions which typically join the identity of an object’s form to its’ function. Here, it is the use which guarantees the final purpose of the object. The visual simplicity of the basic module is reinforced by its materiality. The thin shell of Ductal® fiber concrete - at once skin and structure – embodies the material’s inherent form. Thanks to games of assemblage, flipping and inversion the bench becomes a game of correlations: at once stool, chair, bench, and meeting place.
- Smartphone app Human draws maps of urban… movement
- "It's easy for young designers to get st…uck in Berlin"
- Second collection by Vík Prjónsdóttir
- Podcast interview: Deyan Sudjic
- Twig Coat Stand by Jamie McLellan
- Bombay Sapphire Prize shortlist
- "We need to redefine the sleep cycle" sa…ys architect Jürgen Mayer H
- Zaha Hadid to exhibit work by her favour…ite fashion designer
- Construction Lamp by Joost van Bleiswijk… for Moooi
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories