The mahogany table is manufactured using a CNC router, which allows more complex joints to be made than are possible with traditional hand tools.
"In the past the joinery was all made by hand," explains Wierink. "For this it was kept relatively simple. With the present day machines it is possible to make these joints faster and more accurate."
Here's some text from Ontwerpduo:
Designer: Nathan Wierink
Department: Man & Activity
Wood joinery is functional. In the past the joinery was all made by hand. For this it was kept relatively simple. With the present day machines it is possible to make these joints faster and more accurate. Joinery made in this way is decorative as well as functional.
With this in mind there were several ways to go. The idea lends itself for different options such as child furniture with the joinery being a story, a more technical approach where the joint itself is the instruction manual. Or a subtle visual joy where the joints are beautiful and functional.
The result is a desk completely made with a CNC Router. With the joints as the decorative element in it. The desk is designed to show the joinery and give it prominent place, it is an example of how this idea of joinery can be implemented in many different ways.
Dimensions: 74cm x 120cm x 60cm (h x w x d)
- Dezeen Live movie series
- Mesblock by Robert Knight
- A utensil is not just a utensil by James… Stoklund
- Reel Cabinet and Tie Desk by Carlsten Th…ostrup
- Piggyback by Thomas Heatherwick for Magi…s
- Dragos Motica's Slash Lamp is designed t…o be broken
- Apparitions by Matali Crasset, Mathias G…aillaguet and Michel Bulteau
- Prototype Triangle Numéro 1 wooden T-sh…irt by Pauline Marcombe
- The Felt Cornershop by Lucy Sparrow sell…s hand-stitched groceries
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories