The mahogany table is manufactured using a CNC router, which allows more complex joints to be made than are possible with traditional hand tools.
"In the past the joinery was all made by hand," explains Wierink. "For this it was kept relatively simple. With the present day machines it is possible to make these joints faster and more accurate."
Here's some text from Ontwerpduo:
Designer: Nathan Wierink
Department: Man & Activity
Wood joinery is functional. In the past the joinery was all made by hand. For this it was kept relatively simple. With the present day machines it is possible to make these joints faster and more accurate. Joinery made in this way is decorative as well as functional.
With this in mind there were several ways to go. The idea lends itself for different options such as child furniture with the joinery being a story, a more technical approach where the joint itself is the instruction manual. Or a subtle visual joy where the joints are beautiful and functional.
The result is a desk completely made with a CNC Router. With the joints as the decorative element in it. The desk is designed to show the joinery and give it prominent place, it is an example of how this idea of joinery can be implemented in many different ways.
Dimensions: 74cm x 120cm x 60cm (h x w x d)
- Family of OLEDs by Johanna Schoemaker
- Gravel Plant 01 by Mieke Meijer
- Future Self by rAndom International, Way…ne McGregor and Max Richter
- Vera Knoot makes leather from unwanted g…oose skin
- Wear Out by Carolina Reis
- Juuri by Sarah Böttger
- Alleles Design Studio turns prosthetic l…imbs into a fashion statement
- KDDI shows new Fukasawa prototype
- Raf Simons' trainers for Adidas are base…d on vintage space suits
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories