The hotel residence, which has 335 studios and apartments, is styled as a "sleeping beauty's castle".
See our story from December 2006 about the launch of the project.
See a video interview with Wanders about the project here.
Here's some info from the building's owner, Morgans Hotel Group:
Inspired by its LA namesake – known for cutting-edge design and glamorous nightlife personified by the original Skybar – South Beach is the latest in an exclusive collection of cities, including Scottsdale, that welcomes the Mondrian brand.
Mondrian marks the first hotel outside of the Netherlands designed by Marcel Wanders, one of Fast Company’s 2008 “Masters of Design.” Conceived by the famed visionary as “Sleeping Beauty’s castle,” residents and guests will truly live within a modern fantasy. Wanders inverts traditional design elements to create chic, dramatic living spaces. He will furnish the hotel residences with original pieces from his design studio, where he produces everything from lighting to flooring, including chairs, tables and sofas.
Exteriors will offer entry to a magical world, including an oasis of lush gardens that include a glamorous outdoor bar, private cabanas created with curtains of living foliage, and even a tented children’s space with a sandbox and toys. While Delano’s signature Water Salon became an international destination, Mondrian will raise the bar for poolside decadence with Wanders’ fantastical designs.
Also envisioned by Wanders, the hotel will feature Morgan’s world-renowned agua spa, debuting an exclusive skincare line and several new treatments. Jeffrey Chodorow also presents the latest Asia de Cuba restaurant, bringing a vibrant, social atmosphere with innovative menus that incorporate the best of Asian and Latin cuisines.
- Day-in-the-life movie follows the reside…nt of an apartment with moving walls and secret furniture
- United Nations North Delegates' Lounge b…y Hella Jongerius and Rem Koolhaas
- Boutique Runway by CLS Architetti
- Board Room by Atelier van Lieshout
- TwoTwoSix Hollywood Road by Studioilse
- WUHAO Curated Shop by Isabelle Pascal
- Latticed oak screens reference tradition…al argyle at Pringle of Scotland's Chengdu store
- Casa da Escrita by João Mendes Ribeiro
- Eurovisions by Fantastic Norway
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories