The second of our video interviews conducted at Design Miami last month features British designer Tom Dixon. Update: this interview is featured in Dezeen Book of Interviews, which is on sale now for £12.
Filmed by Dezeen in front of a live audience, Dixon talks about the five images he selected in response to the Design Miami Chat Shows brief: My Design Life in Five Images.
See our previous interview with John Maeda. Seven more interviews will be posted over the coming days.
Design Miami Chat Shows are supported by Fendi.
Here is a biography of Dixon:
Tom became a designer through a series of unexpected events. Several brief careers took him through the music and nightclub sector as well as short spells in the cartoon, film and graphics industries.
He came to prominence in the early 80s with a chaotic series of innovative metal furniture. In the early 90s he worked extensively for Italian furniture companies such as Cappellini.
In the late 90s, he initiated his own plastic design, manufacture and distribution company Eurolounge, which brought Tom international acclaim as well as the Millennium Mark Award. Tom became Head of International Design for Habitat in 1999, working as Creative Director for 5 years.
Design Research Ltd was created in 2002 in collaboration with Proventus as a platform for the development of furniture businesses. The company manages both Artek and Tom’s eponymous label, which produces light and furniture products.
In 2000, Tom was awarded the OBE by the Queen for services to British Design. His work is found in many permanent collections, including MoMA (New York), V&A (London), Design Museum (London) MAK (Vienna), and Centre Pompidou (Paris). Tom is working on a project for the Nature-themed exhibition curated by Design Miami/ that will be held in the Collins Building.
- The History of Typography by Ben Barrett…-Forrest
- Veuve Clicquot Out of the Box in Milan
- Westminster Chiming Grandfather Clock by… Ryan McElhinney
- Coat Hanger by Naruse Inokuma Architects
- Chaise longue by Neri Oxman uses 3D prin…ting to create a multi-coloured cocoon
- Kanazawa World Craft Triennial 2010 Pre-…event by Nendo
- Catenary Pottery Printer using analogue …parametric design by gt2P
- Pedrali launches latest products in Mila…n
- Negative Space Chess Set by Stefan Gough…erty
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories