The home consists of four equal, box-shaped structures, constructed from wood and clad in corrugated metal.
The interior is clad in wood and gypsum panels.
Photos by Iwan Baan.
Here's some more information from HFF:
Ancram, New York / USA
The Tsai Residence is a countryhouse designed for two young art collectors. The design reflects their request for simple abstract looking piece, sitting almost without scale on top of the vaste property, which is located two hours upstate from New York City.
The four equal sized boxes are built as simple wood construction covered with corrugated metal panels on the outside and wood and gypsum panels on the inside.
The floor plan is based on the needs of a traditional countryhouse. Only partially the organization of the rooms is a direct consequence of the rigid outer form.
The Living Room focuses on the different light conditions needed for an existing and future art collection, while the great view into the nearby countryside is present without being dominant. The sequence of the different rooms reflects the idea of a private gallery. Natural light is coming into the spaces through the openings in between the outer boxes.
Architect: HHF architects + Ai Weiwei
Design team: HERLACH HARTMANN FROMMENWILER & AI WEIWEI
with Bhavana Hameed, Tom Strub, Fumiko Takahama, Magnus Zwyssig
Structural engineering: Crawford & Associates, Hudson, NY
Construction management: Crawford & Associates, Hudson, NY
General Contractor: Robert Reed Construction, Germantown, NY
Livable area: 375m² / 4000sqft (gross)
Maximum height of the building from ground level: 8.5m
Minimum and maximum temperatures of the site: -25°C to +45°C
More Dezeen stories about HHF architects and Ai Weiwei:
- Jonathan Dunn converts Victorian school …house into cinema for an English town
- Georgia is investing in architecture "li…ke post-war Germany" says Jürgen Mayer H.
- London's latest canal bridge rises and f…alls like the opening and closing of a fan
- Drents Museum by Erick van Egeraat
- Dezeen archive: castles
- Beach house by Marc Koehler Architects i…s half submerged into a grassy dune
- 4n house by Ninkipen!
- Early Childhood Centre in Wassenaar by K…raaijvanger
- Zig-zagging balconies create sculptural …facade for Ragnitzstrasse 36 apartment block
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories